Author Topic: Our first ever Parsnip!  (Read 5275 times)

Andy H

• Hectare
Re:Our first ever Parsnip!
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2004, 21:42:45 »
I used heavy iron bar to make holes,wiggled round to make circular and deep. Then I (read the book again)then filled with potting compost(Sieved) then the 2nd row I filled with mix of potting compost and sieved soil(as I was running out of compo) then placed 3 seeds in and later thinned to best one and waited and waited and waited... >:(
Then finally BEFORE 1st frost got so impatient that I had to dig one, then another, then another ;D
They were all over a foot long and the last was 18" ;)
Must have been the hole made first and the sieved compo/soil?
First attempt and chuffed! They taste great too,just ate them,haven`t blanched and frozen yet but will do.
gonna grow one in a drainpipe next year to try and get a long one. Everyone I emailed it to replied with some comment about blokes and length :o
If it was 2" they would laugh, and typical female when you tell them it is 18" then they always find something stupid to comment about ???
Just jealousy really, even my cousin in tasmania had something to say :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2004, 22:39:29 »
BL, I believe the reason yours are so interestingly shaped is the root hairs were damaged when they were still in their infancy, so instead of one long tap root, they spiral all around and make lots of smaller taps.  Did you start them in modules and then plant out, or did you sow direct?  My direct sown are lovely long and straight, but the ones I planted out, even tho I took great care, are like alien tennis balls!

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2004, 23:29:00 »
With both carrots and parsnips the tiny bud at the tip of the growing root is easily damaged - not only by transplanting, but also by the presence of small pockets of acid (e.g. manure), stones, nibbling soil pests etc..  Once this bud is damaged it will cease to grow and one or more buds higher up the root will take over, causing the `branching` effect

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2004, 23:49:30 »
Aha, there you go.  Mine were sure to have been damaged when I planted them out.  My ground is soooooooo stoney, I have been pleasantly suprised at how straight and long the directly sown 'snips and carrots have been.

Andy H

• Hectare
Re: Our first ever Parsnip!
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2005, 21:05:35 »
This is weird! just searched parsnip and opened this bit to upload this years picture.....

do do do do      do do do do!!!!(spooky music)

The picture already on the site shows the one I just took but not uploaded yet??????

Same cup in the frame at a different angle............

do do do do      do do do do (More spooky music)!

Is this the same parsnip?

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2005, 21:06:54 »
so what happened to last years picture? It got replaced by current one????????

Confused now............ ??? ??? ???

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2005, 22:47:14 »
YOU are  ;D  Lovely parsnip though.  Dead jealous here as I haven't got any  :'(  Derek keeps talking about his spicy parsnip soup just so as to rub it in  :'( :'(
I came, I saw, I composted

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2005, 08:27:40 »
 hi all,  :D
                 A tip for andy h & ( anybody else)  To avoid snapping off the tip of the parsnip, dig some of the soil away from the crown of the plant, about 75cms around, (3 inches in old money)  then pour 2 or 3 pints of water into this depression, leave it to soak in for 5 minutes & then the parsnip will come out much easier & in one piece. 
                                        Adrian.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2005, 13:51:41 »
Good tip adrian.

Fine looking parsnip pics  :)

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2005, 14:46:45 »
Andy that happened to me with last years squash pics, think it is because I used the same name when I put them into photobucket, it over rode last years!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2005, 18:49:32 »
Thanks Adrian I will try that. if the end snaps off then you can hire the next JCB to excavate the next one!!! ;D

I wondered that Doris, must change numbering system or transfer last years pics to disc so it doesn`t happen!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal