Author Topic: Mildew on rose bush, help please ?  (Read 3362 times)

flossy

• Hectare
Mildew on rose bush, help please ?
« on: May 31, 2009, 08:28:57 »

Have a second year climbing Albertine,  looked really happy - but now covered in

grey powder - mildew like, on leaves and stems,

Only thing I have done to interfere with nature is spray a few weeks ago with dilute

washing-up liquid [ greenfly,  and have at times spray washed the leaves again to wash

off green fly ?      I think mildew is airborn, and as my rose is near a contaminated apple

tree -  is there a connection ?

Would like to hear of a non- chemical answer if possible please ?

Thanks for any advice,

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Mildew on rose bush, help please ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 09:39:11 »
Supposedly, baking soda is apreventative, while neem oil cures it. Anyone tried either?

http://organicgardening.about.com/od/diseases/p/PowderyMildew.htm

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 09:55:16 »

Many thanks Robert, oops - hosed again last night , doh !    ::)

Sorry,   bit thick, what is apreventative please,

Think I will try the hose method until I find the neem oil,

Many thanks again,

floss xxx

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 13:16:18 »
A preventative doesn't get rid of it once it's there, but stops it developing if it's put on early. A classic is Bordeaux mix for potato blight. It doesn't affect the fungus once it's in the plant, but will kill spores as they germinate, and thus stop it getting a hold.

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 16:52:54 »

Aaah, thanks again Robert,       ;D  x

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 17:53:31 »
What you need to ask is why the mildew is there, and whether there's enough to do real damage. I light infection probably doesn't matter, but a light infection in this weather could turn into something very different in a summer like last year's. Is it a particularly susceptible variety, is it in a very damp atmosphere, or is the plant just weak? there used to be mildew all over my neighbour's roses when I was a kid, and I've always wondered whether feeding the soil would have made any difference!

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 00:42:21 »
Another organic alternative is a spray of one part milk to five parts water, applied every five days until the mildew is gone.

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 07:36:31 »

Some info on planting etc,    planted in Autumn of last year - an Albertine rambler rose,
   not sure of it's resistance to desease [ gotta dig the label out ] ,  but has been healthy
   and given of a great ammount of growth since this Spring,  many buds too.
   I gave it a mix of Rose fertiliser and compost in the base of the planting hole, then another
   top dressing of fertiliser  late April.

Now this could be a clue to mildew appearing,  it is planted in reclaimed land against a
   mixed  hedge.    We found 8 ft in depth of garden under an  assortment of privet,  fir,
   elderberry, forsythia and vines.    Years ago that end section was part of an allotment
   and with all the rotting leaves the soil was dark and rich.   We cut the hedge right back
   to its base leaving it 8ft in hight.    The rose is planted 1/2 mtre from the hedge and is already
   climbing  - north side of it but with sun from east to west.   If anything the soil gets a bit dry up there.
   has an open space of 12ft in front of it, with plenty of air and light  --  but then a stonking great
   Brambly Seedling, very old and will get trimmed this year  --  but had mildew 2rs running.

The idea was to mix the rose in with the hedge  --  which is approx 30 ft long,  to give us and the
   birds a treat.    Have hosed again in the morning and destroyed any yellow leaves.  Thought
   I would leave the growth open and tie in the branches in the Autumn ?

The hosing has washed off 90% of the mildew,  so thanks for that advice and you Rosa - Mundi
   for the milk suggestion.

Hope I didn't bore you with that lot,     ;D   but it is a bit ' precious ' as you can tell !   ::)

floss xxx

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 01:32:06 »
The bad news is that Albertine needs an open, sunny situation with moist soil - in dry soil it's prone to mildew. Tou do say that the soil is dry, and I suspect that you don't need to look any further for the reason that it has mildew. I'm not sure that it'll appreciate being tied into the hedge, either, as that will impede airflow and light significantly.

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 06:24:08 »

Hi Rosa, thanks for your advise  --  reckon I'll have to compost more and mulch.

Was kinda hoping it would reach for the skies and cover the top of the hedge,
     won't tie them in though  --  just help it up there ?

floss xxx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal