Author Topic: Tomatoes bolted !  (Read 2448 times)

flossy

• Hectare
Tomatoes bolted !
« on: May 31, 2009, 08:20:55 »
  My Piccolo toms are still not outside yet, so they have bolted indoors !

When I re - pot, can I remove the first pair and and the first leaf before planting them

deeply so the stem will root ?

have deep planted before successfuly -  but not removed leaves first ?

Many thanks,

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

flossy

• Hectare
Re: Tomatoes bolted !
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 09:57:33 »

Help if poss please  ---   about to do the deed !,

floss xxx

amphibian

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 09:58:43 »
Yes, do it. Simply remove some lower leaves and bury deep, they'll be fine.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:33:56 »
I earthed up some tomatoes a couple of weeks ago.  They were under bottle cloches but were getting too tall for the bottles.  So I earthed them up so they would fit under the coca cola bottles.  Decided to move one yesterday to fit under a shelter I have build.  Amazed at just how many roots had sprouted from the stem.  It was nice to see for once what is going on below the soil.  Amazing just how large the root ball has become.  Only a few weeks ago it fitted in a large yoghurt pot.

So busy looking at the top green bit, fI orget that large part of the action is going on below.  Must remember to leave more room between plants.  With only limited space it is so tempting to try and fit everything in with a shoe horn.

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 11:48:27 »

Thank you both very much  --  did hold off the planting !    Scaredy !      ;D   

Went and shifted a ton of soil instead ,   

Think earthing up toms  gives them the roots to get maxi water, lovely to hear how successful

that was Digeroo, sympathise with the ' shoehorn ' problem - think I must pass some of my toms on

to my neighbours.

Thanks amphibian, was thinking the removal of leaves will leave a wound that may allow

desease into the stem through the soil ,    pleased to hear that there is no prob there ---   lovely,

Thanks again,

floss xxx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal