Author Topic: Homebrewed Sainsbury's Grape and Peach Wine.  (Read 3591 times)

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
Homebrewed Sainsbury's Grape and Peach Wine.
« on: May 16, 2009, 14:06:57 »
Hi,
I wanted to get back into brewing but didn't want to buy a kit nor do anything complicated. I discovered this site from a guy in the middle east where alcohol is banned:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Make_Your_Own_Wine

I took a trip to my local home brew supplier (luckily I've one 2 miles from my house), bought a demijohn, airlock, bung, yeast, yeast nutrient and steriliser. Then a trip to Sainsbury's where I bought 30% Grape and Peach Juice (3L for £2.25.)

I sterilised everything then poured 1L of juice into the demijohn, added 1 teaspoon of yeast and 1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient. After 1 day it was bubbling happily, I added another litre (see pic.)

Tomorrow I'll add another litre and 750 grams of sugar dissolved in 1 litre of boiling water. Finally I'll add another carton of juice (haven't decided what flavour, probably grape) This will fill the demijohn to 5Litres.

I'll leave the brew for 10 - 14 days then carfully decant into bottles. Hopefully I'll avoid drinking any for around 3 months. I'll keep you all updated as to how the brew develops.

Next on the list is a nettle beer from the other thread.

STEVEB

• Acre
Re: Homebrewed Sainsbury's Grape and Peach Wine.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 22:44:57 »
Avoid juise type drinks as these are primarily water based ,juice from concentrate is fine.
1 litre of pure pressed grape grape juice with 1 l of apple +1kg of sugar will give a very tasty drinkable wine in around 4/5 weeks.
alternatively try 1xwhite pressed grape with a carton of orange same sugar dont top up demi till the wild fermenting has died down about 4/5 days then top with water to the shoulder
this one will finish in around 3 weeks
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 17:27:01 »
Thanks Steve, its on now and I might as well see it to completion.

I just added 750 grams of sugar dissolved in 1L boiling water and I've topped it up with 1L of concentrate apple juice. Some strange flavours involved, can't wait to taste it. I'm going to leave it for 3 weeks and let it clear.

Didn't get my Nettle Beer on the go but plan to some time this week.

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 16:58:03 »
This is still bubbling but bubbles are only every 10 seconds or so and everything is starting to settle. I expect to bottle this next weekend.

I went looking Elderflowers earlier, I found one tree but the flowers were only starting to develop. I'll try again next week and get some champagne on the go.

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 17:08:50 »
Still bubbling so I'll leave this a little longer to bottle it. I didn't take a reading when I started the brew so I don't know what strength it is  :o

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 09:35:31 »
Hi Glentoran,
                     I wouldn`t be in too much of a hurry to bottle it. Fermentation can carry on long after you think it has finished, far better to rack it off into another demijon, add some form of stabilizer, (from the brew shop) & let it settle & clear a bit. If you bottle it right away, you will get sediment forming in the bottles as it clears, this will get mixed up as you pour the wine & will make it all very cloudy. After the first racking, rack it in 3 to 4 weeks time & add some finings to help clear it, then bottle it.
                                                                        Adrian.

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 21:26:53 »
The best piece of equipment you can spend 2 quid on is a hydrometer
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal