Author Topic: Windows XP Service Pack 2  (Read 11048 times)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re:Windows XP Service Pack 2
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2004, 20:59:09 »
Thank again Hugh I have copy pasted it for future reference, sorry I can't help with the history problem, I clear mine together with the cookies and internet files daily.

Roy

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2004, 12:18:55 »
I think I am blaming that for hiding notepad from me - I have a shortcut which works, but when clicking a txt file - notepad not on list of programs to open. Problem solved, but it meant looking in folder options, file type, then advanced and editing the "open" and found that windows thought notepad was in the system32 folder.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2004, 10:30:21 »
Your ccleaner, Hugh...brilliant.....found about 2 dozen that RegCleaner missed...and hopefully got rid of CATZFIR.exe...an animal shelter screensaver who wrote 'donate or else'. Thank you.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2004, 17:22:59 »
What is it that determines how much c..p you get. A local friend gets 10s of nasties a day. And many of you seem to suffer a lot more than we do - which is almost nothing. Is it the amount one uses the net - or what you use it for?

One of the few things we do get is an occasional e-mail from a different person's name each time - 're (5)' etc - the figure is different each time.

We have Panda & Stopzilla. = Tim

PS Still too scared to get SP2, despite having downloaded Getright. The thought of losing something in backing up is too much of a threat.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 17:25:51 by tim »

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2004, 22:24:55 »
tim, it depends entirely on what sort of c..p you mean. However, almost every site you visit on the internet, even the most innocent sounding ones, deposits a cookie in your computer, and except for those sites you visit regularly and for which you want your password remembering it`s all c..p. Unfortunately many of these cookies also contain adware or spyware whose purpose is to record your internet use and report back on it, and the more unscrupulous may contain diallers which can re-route your link to your ISP through a premium rate line, or trojans which literally `open the gates` from inside your computer. Your anti-virus and firewall should intercept trojans, but they don`t intercept cookies and diallers. This is what programs such as Ad-aware, Spybot and ccleaner are for - to get rid of them, and in the case of ccleaner to clear out Microsoft`s own private record of your internet use.

As to dodgy emails, you only get these from people who have got your address from somewhere, but again, many sites who obtain email addresses perfectly legitimately simply sell them on to the highest bidder, just as the catalogue companies and the charities do with your name and address - subscribe to one and they`re all after you.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2004, 08:41:28 »
Hi Hugh, can I refer you back to this previous thread
Just as a matter of interest, although I regularly use McAfee Quick Clean and Ad-Aware, last week I downloaded a little program called `cclean` and tried it immediately after using the other two.  It found a further 97 junk files which the others had missed, emptied the Windows cookie data file (which I`ve never been able to do before) and freed up several hundred ks of hard disk space - I can highly recommend it.

Can you please post me the link to cclean as I'm getting nowt out of Google and my PC is running below par even with Ad-aware6 & SpywareBlaster plus it needs a good scrub.

Many thanks

Roy. ;D

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2004, 15:27:02 »
Hi Roy.....cclean(er) is another registry cleaner like RegCleaner. The latter has a feature that lets you see the hidden files in Add/Remove. i.e. IE4 data (not sure if this means index.dat).Not dared to tick the box yet altho' backup provision.

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2004, 22:00:45 »

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2004, 22:33:56 »
Did find that ccleaner removed my password for A4All, so make sure you know it before you run it!! Was amazed at what it found though, especially as I had run both adaware and spybot the same day! :o
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2004, 23:12:26 »
Gee Wizz Hugh that cleaner has wiped up 142.4MB :o 8) and the old puter is sailing along now, 8) not too bothered about losing passwords as it is worth the time and effort typing them back in, I dare say there is probably a way to save your favorite cookies for passwords, I'll have a closer look tomorrow, in the mean time thanks for the link. ;)

Roy. ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2004, 20:22:31 »
'PC running slow' - what is 'slow'? = Tim

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2004, 23:05:51 »
'PC running slow' - what is 'slow'? = Tim
Not very fast!!! ? But who said that? ???

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2004, 23:19:10 »
Haha!!

I define slow as........ time to brew a coffee, drink it, and smoke a cig whilst strolling around the garden.........and returning well before the Gallery loads up !!  ::)  ;D
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2004, 01:19:08 »
Di, you need to buy a new puter!!!   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2004, 18:12:24 »
Or clean the old one up a bit.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2004, 18:31:07 »
Seriously - one minute forty two point eight from start-up to a4a. Windows XP.

Is that good, bad or indifferent?? = Tim

PS Looking at MD's note - no pics - timing is from Switch On - on line - select a4a -  a4a's page comes up.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 09:15:08 by tim »

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2004, 19:22:53 »
Sorry Tim, a partial jest, as pace depends upon size of pics posted ! ( John's foliage took forever ! )

Will use Hugh's 'cclean' recommendation, then do a test.
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2004, 16:11:34 »
I have just downloaded and installed 'SP2' and am currently 'testdriving ' it.

I made sure i had set a 'restore point' on the PC before instaling it, to make sure i could go back and get rid of it if nessesary. there was no need to back stuff up since most things were already backed up from an earlier problem  ::).

So far no problems with the computer, at least nothing new caused by SP2.

To those whose computers are slow to load web pages, are you narrow band (dial up) or broadband. If narrowband then the problem is too slow a connection. If broadband, the problem is the computer i am afraid (too slow or suffering a different problem.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2004, 16:48:46 »
OK - dead easy?? But I still have the problem that, unless I see someone else load a page, or send a photo or whatever. I have no idea whether my thingy is slow or nor. This why, earlier, I gave an example time.= Tim
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 16:49:55 by tim »

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2004, 11:00:33 »
OK - dead easy?? But I still have the problem that, unless I see someone else load a page, or send a photo or whatever. I have no idea whether my thingy is slow or nor. This why, earlier, I gave an example time.= Tim

Dead easy? Hardly Tim. Even i dont understand computers and the internet sometimes.

Mind you i can tell by the time you gave that either your machine or your connection to the internet is quite slow.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal