Poll

Will you avoid voting for the main three parties?

Yes
No
I will abstain.

Author Topic: Voting on the 4th June  (Read 5708 times)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Voting on the 4th June
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 22:51:45 »
I think that beore the next general election we should form "The Allotment & gardeners party", between us I am sure we could show the shower we have at present a thing or two.

You think you have problems now, just imagine if dumbo Brown was replaced with Eristic PM.  8)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 23:05:36 »
I would think that any replacement for the repulsive gordon would be acceptable.

General election asap.

valmarg

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 00:12:37 »
We had a leaflet for 'the Roman party' too, couldn't quite work that one out! :D

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 00:33:44 »
Is Guy Fawkes standing this year? 

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 08:50:34 »
Maybe there's too much choice now, the vote will be split between them and one of the 3 mains will still get in.

The Euros are much fairer - there isn't an outright winner or a party that "gets in". So you really can vote for the best match with your views.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 10:24:29 »
What's all this about "the 3 mains"? Lib Dems have been pretty well sleaze-free, judging by the revelations so far, and have been way ahead of the others in arguing for reform of Parliament, long before the expenses scandals. There are are also many Labour and Tory MPs who have not played the rotten system, despite all the temptations.
Keep Calm and Carry On

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 00:43:21 »
Never been a Labour voter and this past few years shows why.  This year I will be giving one of the underdogs my vote. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 09:36:44 »
I don't think it matters who you vote for they all p*ss in the same pot if you ask me.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 08:16:03 »
I have never voted for anyone in a European election.  I've always spoiled my paper, on principle.  I don't want an "MEP", and certainly not the sort of slimy little toads who normally stand for Euro election.

But I'm concerned about the potential rise of extremism, whether racists, or eco-fascists, or single-issue nutcases.  So for the first time, I will be voting, and for one of the main UK parties.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 08:46:04 »
well i was thinking of voting for the the decision not to be in the european union in the first place i dont agree with brussels sticking there noses in to what should be a democratic decision from ourselves rather than some over paid politician scamming the system i pay very much to suport on a monthly basis .
making legal laws on our behalf thinking ghuman rights should be in concideration .
like you say they all p**s in the same pot

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 11:19:15 »
I think Europe's great. For every ludicrous story about straight bananas, there's a great bit of legislation... For example, the police overuse of DNA retention for innocent people being corrected, European arrest warrants being introduced, pressure to keep the working week from being too high, carbon emission agreements & trading... loads of great stuff.

Unfortunately the press don't like Europe, and since they provide us with most of our information, it's hard to find the good stuff. But there's plenty of it.

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 14:38:04 »
I agree with Ollie. And trying to cut ourselves off from Europe, is cutting off our nose to spite our face. It's like Kansas trying to leave the United States. Not much point in this joined-up world, of cutting yourself adrift...
I'd like to join the Euro, too. At least we then don't have to worry about our currency going up or down compared to the rest of Europe, only our standing against the dollar. My husband is American, and a professional musician, so he works in the States AND Europe AND the UK. Fluctuating currencies make life so uncertain... and every time you convert your earnings from one to another, you get fleeced.

Moonbeam65

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2009, 13:31:47 »
Dont know who i will vote for yet apart from i will not consider any of the three main parties and certainly not the green numpties.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 10:53:31 »
I totally agree with Ollie - if you abstain, you increase the percentage vote for parties such as UKIP and the BNP who are making *massive* attempts to increase their votes on June 4th. You might as well vote for them yourself, as spoil your ballot.

I'm voting Green, for existing MEP Caroline Lucas. I would have done anyway, notwithstanding all the recent revelations, which shouldn't be taking anyone by surprise!

You can find out here, who your MEPs are, and how the voting broke down last time round:
http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/
(Click on your area in the 'European Elections' section.)

And here's an overview of the European Parliament and Elections, with more useful links:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7819889.stm

By the way, here are some interesting statistics I looked up after I got the BNP leaflet through my door, which basically argues that 'we earned the right', at Trafalgar, the Somme, and the Battle of Britain, to 'British Jobs for British People'.

World War I:

Number of Indian troops:
   1.4 million

World War II:

Number of Indian troops:
   2.5 million - the largest all-volunteer army in history

Number of African troops:
   55,000, plus hundreds of thousands of auxiliary troops

Number of Polish pilots in Battle of Britain:
   145, responsible for 12% of hits

Number of Poles to fight for the Allies, many with British forces:
   2 million

On behalf of my relatives who fought in WW1 & II, and my great-grandfather who died at Paschendaele, I fiercely object to them being used as propaganda for the BNP. Very angrily so!

Thanks for forgetting the ANZAC's on your list. My father and two of his brother's fought in the second world war. My Dad was at El Alamein and Tobruk where Churchill sacrificed ANZAC troops into the worst positions in the battle for political reasons. Altogether he spent 5 years in the Middle East and Italy with no leave back home. My Dad was in the Engineer's and they were first across the minefields to clear a path for advancing troops, no metal detector's in those days it was pretty much luck and intuition. One of his brothers' was killed in Italy, he was a medic. His other brother was in the Pacific.

However ...how did I get to live in this country? I came in as the spouse of a EU passport holder (Dutch nationality he got from his parents), I stayed in a marriage that was destructive to me because divorce meant losing my immigration status and my children. Only when I had successfully obtained 'leave to remain' could I leave that destructive marriage. Commonwealth citizens lost the right to live in the UK when the EU began but their parents, grandparents and great grandparents fought in wars to protect Britain from invasion...and still do.... my nephew has had a tour of duty in East Timor and Afghanistan with the NZ army and UN forces.

Women fought hard for the vote...so all women should honour that and make sure they vote even if it's a protest vote. i voted for the loony party in county council elections! On the grounds that he's no worse than the rest!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 11:53:19 »
if only there was a box marked

None of the above
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 14:14:01 »
if only there was a box marked

None of the above

There was a candidate standing as the None Of The Above candidate - single issue was he wanted 'none of the above' added to all ballot papers

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2009, 14:22:44 »
I was a bit miffed yesterday when I went to vote as the only candidates listed for my area were Cons, Labs, Libs & BNP!!  >:( I didn't want to waste my vote but didn't want to vote on a 'second choice' (but did in the end) Oh well.   

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2009, 20:10:58 »
Sorry kea, but I think it was WW1, Gallipoli that Churchill sacrificed the ANZACs, albeit unintentionally.

I should have to say I dislike the EU.  Grocer Heath was determined to get us into this 'club' at any cost.

The bit I dislike is that he abandoned the old commonwealth countries.  Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Rhodesia, Canada, India, Packistan, etc.  The old 'Empire' countries that had stuck by us and fought to help us defeat Hitler

He also sold the UK fisheries industry down the swanee in his desperate attempt to get us admitted to the then Common Market, now the EU.  Spain is in eternal gratitude to him.

I hope he is rotting in purgatory for the next million years, before going to hell for what he has done to the UK. ;D ;D

valmarg

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2009, 22:31:33 »
Well we've all done our bit now.

To tell you that I feel sorry for Mr Brown goes against the grain with me but I do. I think his inherited Blairite Babes did him no favours and Blair himself is still pulling the strings in the background.

On reflection I think our Telegraph played a very important part in this election and maybe put out a few warnings before they launched their tirade on MP's expenses.

They say "all's fair in love and war" but not politics, it seems to me that it's all about who can gather the most brownie points first!

They say don't talk about politics, sex, money and religion so it's back to our spuds  ;D

Linda

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2009, 22:42:24 »
Our station was a third down in voters this year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal