Author Topic: Cauliflower plants - keeping them viable.  (Read 1730 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Cauliflower plants - keeping them viable.
« on: May 25, 2009, 22:24:39 »
Hi y'all

I've been given some cauliflower plants, and they're looking good.  Problem is that I won't be able to get them in for at least a week, maybe even 10 days.  What can I do to keep them viable in the meantime....is potting on an option?  Thanks for any info. 

Regards, Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
Re: Cauliflower plants - keeping them viable.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 22:27:57 »
If they're already in pots or decent sized plugs, if you keep them watered a week shouldn't matter. If you think they need extra space and may be a while you can pot them up - I overwinter caulis in pots and keep potting up sprouting brocs as they take up too much space for too long if I plant them out.
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 22:36:56 »
AJB how often do you pot your brocolli on please. I can't plant mine until I have taken up some potatoes.
Janet

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 22:40:51 »
If anyone is having trouble with space for their brassica plants find a small space somewhere and plant them about 6" apart. The setback from moving them is far less than the setback from being cramped up in a pot which will dry out far too quickly.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 23:26:06 »
I've done that several times with mine, and they grow far better than they would in a pot. I usually underplant them with something else so they're not taking up too much space.

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 21:38:21 »
AJB how often do you pot your brocolli on please. I can't plant mine until I have taken up some potatoes.
Janet

I put them in square pots and just check them for the roots wrapping. I  pot them up 2-3 weeks if they're going strong. They do need to be kept watered though - go on the large size with the pots if you can as they dry out less quickly.

My under-planting never seems to work out so well - quite a shady veg patch so I think they don;t tolerate the extra company so well.
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal