Author Topic: We have bees in our compost heap  (Read 3104 times)

shambasarfi

• Quarter Acre
  • Growing vegetables in our back garden
We have bees in our compost heap
« on: June 07, 2009, 12:54:05 »
Hiya,

My partner and I are in a bit of delema because we inherited an overgrown compost heap in a rather rickety frame and were going to clear it bit by bit by burning all the sticks and using the soil.  We were hoping that we might actually find some compost underneath.  I started clearing this compost heap last weekend, only to find that bees have made a hive in amongst the twigs and dried grass.

It's been on the News recently that bees are in a decline and, anyway these bees will help polinate all the allotment owner's and our forthcoming crops, so I don't want to destroy them, only maybe move them somewhere else.  Short of buying a proper hive, is there anything else I could try?  I know we could smoke them out but, ideally, I would like them to stay in the allotment grounds.

Shamba
When a man tries to drown his sorrows he generally makes his head swim!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: We have bees in our compost heap
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 13:05:51 »
Is it really necessary to move them now? they will only be there for a few months. If they were on my plot I would be inclined to work around them if possible.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 13:21:54 »
Ideally contact the beekeepers association who will do the right thing.  If it is a hive\swarm then they can often rehome them with someone who want them

http://www.britishbee.org.uk/
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 21:04:10 »
 :D you are very lucky, please leave them where they are/ shadesx
grow your own way

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 21:09:51 »
they are probably bumble bees, making a home in an old mouse nest. Leave them where they are, they'll move off at the end of autumn. You'll get good pollination this year, they fly at lower temps than honey bees, and visit a wider range of plants  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 21:18:27 »
You lucky thing Shamba, wish they were in my compost.

Hope you leave them where they are, as tony said they will be gone in the autumn.

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 21:20:26 »
if they are really in the way you can move them ( or get someone in a bee suit to do it :)) my father in law who is a beekeeper moved some from a builder's site they other day and now they live in a bird house in his garden.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 22:18:24 »
Leave them if you con, otherwise get someone who knows what they're doing to move them for you. I have bumblebees in my shed this year and they're no bother at all.

Solorn

• Quarter Acre
  • The Worlds Only 6ft Gnome
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 08:06:17 »
I'm glad I'm not the only one! i went to turn a corner of my heap last week and a small swarm of bumble bees came out to meet me. I backed away slowly and hid in the shed as I am deadly allergic to them! I've decided just to leave them to it, I have a second heap I can use for now, and let them do what they do best, pollinate my crops:)

If they get aggressive at any point I will have to have them moved, for my own safety, but from what I've been reading they should fine as long as I don't distrub them again.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 08:31:51 »
we have wasps in ours, would much rather have bees  ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 12:41:38 »
Funnily enough, I discovered little bumble bees in my lottie compost heap this week too. I decided to plant the top up with some squashes to make use of the space, and noticed a few bees flying out as I levelled the top off and topped it up with some mushroom compost. They had a little entry hole halfway down so I've just left them to it! They make a beeline for the thyme plants I have just near the compost bins so perhaps a nearby nectar source has encouraged them?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

shambasarfi

• Quarter Acre
  • Growing vegetables in our back garden
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 23:47:41 »
Hiya,

Thank you for all your replies.  They are definitely honey bees as against bumble bees.  I don't have any problem with them.  I can put my face 6 inches away from a hive (I did this with African honey bees which are much more aggressive) and, because I'm not afraid of them and don't give off a fear smell, I never get stung.  I am sure we can work around them.

Shamba
When a man tries to drown his sorrows he generally makes his head swim!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 09:20:38 »
Are you sure they're honey bees? European honey bees are tree nesters by nature; it would be unusual to say the least to have them nesting in a compost heap. I'm not sure where Flitwick is, but there should be a contact for the local Beekeepers' Association here: http://www.britishbee.org.uk/local_associations_about_us.php .

Don't take it for granted that African bees are more aggressive. It's a big continent, and I'm told that some are perfectly docile. People who've worked with Africanised bees in the Americas have told me that on average they're more defensive than European bees, but the worst of our bees (they'll chase you half a mile down the road and sting you every inch of the way) are as bad as the worst you'll find anywhere.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:23:18 by Robert_Brenchley »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal