Author Topic: Grapevine advice  (Read 828 times)

Lilyanne

• Not So New ...
Grapevine advice
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:06:47 »
I have an old grapevine which has only been under glass for the last two years. Previous tenant on our plot knocked down the original greenhouse, therefore the vine was in the open for years. It has fruit forming on it now.  It is meant to be a late cropping dark coloured fruit.  Any advice about feeding or anything else would be great.

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
Re: Grapevine advice
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 14:28:10 »
dont quote me on this but vines for fruit (rather than foliage) should be kept very compact and do not require a feeding regime.  Picking out new growth will focus enery on forming fruit.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 18:26:59 »
If it's in the soil it should be OK... a top dressing of a potash (tomato) fertiliser wouldn't hurt but avoid anything high in Nitrogen as they are rampant enough!!
After the fruit has set thin bunches to about one per foot of cane. Then carefully cut about half the grapes out of each bunch... (  :'( ) If it is a late variety the might not ripen if not under glass before the frosts but I'd bet it's Black Hamburgh which should...
Keep trimming off all the un-needed leaves... to let light, air and wasps(!) at the fruit...
Good Luck!!

Lilyanne

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 18:35:59 »
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Will let you know how i get on.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 18:58:43 »
Oh, and welcome to A4A Lillyanne  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal