Author Topic: climbing french bean  (Read 6749 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: climbing french bean
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 18:17:19 »
Well Kea I got 4 to germinate and I have put them on the plot just to save the seed. We will see next year what happens, I have done the same with coco sophie that an A4A member kindly sent me. All of my cherokee have germinated
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

jeremyf

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 05:31:24 »
My Corona seeds from Kings managed less than 10% germination - my other beans normally get 90%. I sent them a quick email about it and apparently they're getting 83% when last tested. They are sending another packet so I'll try them.

Jeremy

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 12:49:57 »
My seeds are from T&M and Fothergills both are not germinating. Looking at some of the plants that have germinated I'm starting to think there's a problem with my compost. Some of the plants have leaves that look twisted, bubbled and buckled like they've been affected by a hormone weedkiller.....BUT not many of them. I used Westland JI no 1 which is usually really good and other vege has been fine this year....Squash, cabbage, globe artichoke, leeks and Kale also nasturtiums.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 09:43:16 »
Kea, that does sound like it could be the compost. Maybe worth emailing the suppliers / makers ?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 10:15:07 »
I used Westland organic last year and everything I planted in it died.  Went back to non organic.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 11:09:31 »
It was only two days ago that Eristic predicted that the herbicide problem would hit commercially available composts.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,52998.0.html

Ceres has provided me with a great deal of info on ther subject.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 11:22:12 »
Some are completely unaffected. I tipped out the compost from the ones that didn't germinate and found a white grub in some of the soil......looks bigger than a vine weevil though and must have been in the soil. Not sure if it's the culprit. I have to get some new seed potting mix of a different brand and plant some more...see what happens.
other stuff germinated ok in the same mix. I think my Broad beans were in last years potting mix though.....they were fine.

jeremyf

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 13:32:17 »
From my experience this year, the (less then 10% germination) Corona beans have come up contorted but growing while the other french beans (90% germination) are fine (blue lake, blauhide, borlotti). I've stuck them in regardless as its possibly a bit late to sow more? I use the cheapest compost I can find - JA BOwers this year.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 13:35:44 »
I'm trying to grow Blauhilde climbing beans. I have no problem with germination but as soon as I put them in the ground, along come the slugs and munch the lot :(  Same with the beetroot, I'm on my third sowing this year and I havn't had one plant yet. This has got to be the worst year yet for home growing.  :'( 
I'm using Wickes own cheapo compost BTW, seems really good stuff.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 13:56:11 »
late sowings of climbing beans never work for me for some reason. There's plenty of time still for them to reach maturity and crop well, but they never do. Thet just struggle on. Dwarf beans on the other hand I can sow for ages yet, and they crop really well

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal