Author Topic: Will the beans get pollinated, if the weather is bad for bees?  (Read 4524 times)

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
Re: Will the beans get pollinated, if the weather is bad for bees?
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 21:51:42 »
I used a strong solution of Ecover washing up liquid. :)

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 21:54:01 »
... sprayed directly onto the aphids, that is. With small greenfly, on roses, I usually come back a bit later and spray it off with water. In this case, they're such fat blackfly and in big masses, so I left the soap on, to make sure they're killed.

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 23:09:43 »
*I can assert that the solution I used was too strong, by the way - it certainly did kill a lot of blackfly, but it also caused some quite bad leaf burn. I'm sticking to a much milder solution from now on. :)

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 14:10:32 »
Had a walk round the site yesterday and to a man, everybody is having problems with a lack of broad beans setting.  Plants look really healthy, lots of flowers but just not enough insect activity at all.  There are probably just enough beans if we all chip in together to have enough for one boiling.  It's not looking good at the moment, even in this hot weather.  Lance
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 15:50:24 »
If you are having problems with black fly try and remember to put the packet of seeds in the freezer for a few weeks before you sow them next year. 

Heard it on a gardening radio programme years ago.  Don't know why but it does seem to work.  Not a 100% cure but I have no balck fly at the moment.

Sorry but not much help now.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 16:43:49 »
If you are having problems with black fly try and remember to put the packet of seeds in the freezer for a few weeks before you sow them next year. 

Heard it on a gardening radio programme years ago.  Don't know why but it does seem to work.  Not a 100% cure but I have no balck fly at the moment.

Sorry but not much help now.

Amazing, never heard that one before!
So far mine seem ok, I interplanted with summer savory as I heard that was a good companion plant for the broadies

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 12:26:36 »
Had a walk round the site yesterday and to a man, everybody is having problems with a lack of broad beans setting.  Plants look really healthy, lots of flowers but just not enough insect activity at all.  There are probably just enough beans if we all chip in together to have enough for one boiling.  It's not looking good at the moment, even in this hot weather.  Lance

First time growing broad beans this year.  Have plenty of bees on my plants, but flowers dropping & hardly any beans setting. ::)   Some of the plants are now almost 2 feet tall and not one single flower on the stem.    Might have enough beans to fill an eggcup from my little patch.   :'(
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:35:36 by luckydog »

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 14:48:32 »
If the bees you're getting are white-tailed bumblebees, then you know why they're not setting! (if you didn't see my earlier post - they drill through the flower to get the nectar without going past the pollen at all).
I guess the answer would be to interplant with flowers that will attract all sorts of bees and other pollinators (some flies, for example). I interplanted mine with rocket, which was so keen to immediately bolt, that I just let it - now its flowers seem very popular with the bees.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 21:16:28 »
Don't panic if you don't see beans at first. They take a while, and develop even if the flower hasn't been pollinated. In this case, the pod will be empty.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal