Author Topic: Polytunnels  (Read 4596 times)

Old bird

• Hectare
Polytunnels
« on: March 28, 2007, 15:20:26 »
Has anyone had problems with the Council or other allotmenteers about erecting a polytunnel.  I am 3/4 of the way to erecting one and have found out that one of the other allotmenteers (who also happens to live within sight of my new polytunnel) is moaning.  It is only a visual problem I think.  I was given verbal permission from the Council  but I haven't said or done anything yet but as it cost me mega bucks and I still am paying for a couple of blokes to put the thing up I will be pretty sick if I have to take it down again!
Has anyone else had any problems?  :-[http://

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
Re: Polytunnels
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 15:29:18 »
Hi,

I think it depends on your tenancy agreement. Mine says that I can have a small shed, but not a polytunnel. That said, my plot neighbours have built a big, ramshackle polytunnel next to their Alpine lodge-style shed! If the council are okay with you erecting a tunnel, ask your neighbour why they're upset - maybe you'll be shading part of their plot? Or maybe they're just jealous?

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 15:40:49 »

Hi Thanks Rob

No problem with shading I am all on my own at the top of the allotment and he is way down at the bottom!  I think it is a view from the house thing.  We are in Minehead Somerset and the view from the back of his house looks out over the lotties and then distant hillsides.  His house is at least 100 yards from thepolytunnel though it may be as you say  the green eyed monster!  Who knows.  But I really have been working so bloody hard to get the thing erected and to have another worry before I even get to planting in it is more than a nuisance.

Ann ::)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 17:35:32 »
If you don't like the view of allotments don't buy a house overlooking them... the lottie probably got there first!
 :-X

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 17:38:07 »
when you said you got permission verbaly - from who and how quickly can they put it in writing.

remember you dealing with 1920s red tape here if its no wit down its not allowed!

for the record were not allowed polytunnels either.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 22:19:50 »
I would ask to have it put in writing as well OB, then you can wave the letter at anyone who objects. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 17:45:55 »
We have to apply for permission to erect a new greenhouse, but a polytunnel is ok, as it isn't looked upon as a permanent fixture. ;)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 12:10:04 »
Hi - Things are going from bad to worse!  I went to meeting at Town Hall on Thursday last week - one  of topics of discussion - my polytunnel - they are apparently writing me a letter today to say that it can only stay until Autumn and then it will have to go!

The only other alternative is to reduce its size from 25' x 12' to the permitted 6' x 5' shed size!  Impossible or what!  It wouldn't be any good that size anyway.  They are not denying that I had permission though!

Luckily I work at solicitors so am already firing off letters.  The senior reporter on the Western Daily News is also a friend!   Most of other allotment holders support me!  Not a lot of good with jobsworths though.

appelpear

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 15:07:47 »
just in case anyone is told they need planning permission to erect a polytunnel on an allotment, here is what I have found out.

Planning permission for Polytunnels on allotments is not required.  You should advise the Council that "the use of land for allotment purposes does not require planning permission because that use falls within the definition of agriculture in the TCPA 1990 - see Crowborough Parish Council v Secretary of State for the Environment & Wealden DC (198043 P & CR 229, DC)'. Section 336 Town and Country Planning Act 1990 states in words of few syllables that 'agriculture' includes 'horticulture'   

Section 55 (2) (e) Town and Country Planning Act 1990 states that planning permission ,is not required for .buildings occupied together with land used for agricultural (horticultural) purposes.  It follows that planning permission is not required.

This is confirmed by the abstract of page 289 'Local Council Administration' 6th edition 2002 Arnold-Baker and Clayden, published by Butterworth ISBN 0 406 952981.

The use of land for agriculture and the use of buildings occupied together with agricultural land is not to be taken to involve development, for which, therefore, development permission is not necessary. This makes development permission for allotments equally unnecessary.

Structures not covered by this rule’s are permitted development.

[This is footnoted by reference to ss. 55 (2) (e) and 336 Town and Country Planning Act 1990,ancfTown and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 – SI 1995/418].       

Part 6 Town & Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Regulations 1995 which talks in terms of planning permission not being required for agriculture (which, it will be recalled, includes

horticulture - section 336 Town and Country Planning Act 1990) buildings. This is again confirmed by the abstract from ‘Local Council Administration'.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:20:00 »
Old Bird,
               First of all I would go back to the council and ask them just to confirm in writing the permission they have given you at the same time I would mention about your moaning neighbour and if there is anything about your council they will give you support, :)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 12:22:07 »
Thanks for the reply Mr Smith

This is an old topic now and I won my battle with the Council!

Old Bird

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 21:02:26 »
appelpear seems to have made two posts and they were both reserecting old polytunnel posts.  ???     :-\         ???     :-\     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 21:36:48 »
appelpear seems to have made two posts and they were both reserecting old polytunnel posts.  ???     :-\         ???     :-\     ;D ;D ;D

What are you suggesting Kevin?  ;D
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 16:41:42 »
Not quite sure Robin,  ???  you get train spotters and plane spotters maybe its a polytunnel spotter.  ???    :-X      ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 12:53:22 »
he should tell it to wigan council, they make up their own minds, we had to get pp for all of ours  ;D

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 21:40:02 »
Thanks for your post appelpear, there's a lot there that could come in handy, it's always good to know what your rights are.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal