Author Topic: How's this for lousy timing?!  (Read 7880 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: How's this for lousy timing?!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 07:37:41 »
I'd also see if the plot they are offering is too overgrown/hardwork right now and if you could go to the top of the list again. if not I'd be tempted to take it and then cover it / create planting holes for the 1st year, that way the initial work would be reduced, it shows progress, it starts to kill of the weeds and you get some produce at the end of it

Good luck

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 09:18:10 »
Once you have some idea about how long it's going to take, take the plot on and do what you can as it heals. I found that my backache cleared up thanks to the extercise when I got mine. I do have to be a bit careful though; too much shovelling soon brings it back, but digging's OK.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 12:04:17 »
I know the one they've initially offered me is head height in brambles and all sorts of nasties, the other two apparently aren't in bad condition at all, one of the girls up there said the kids could manage it easily enough.  I'm still in two minds about it, it very much depends on how long it's going to take for this d**n fracture to heal, but hopefully should have some idea over the next few weeks.  If they decide to operate then I more than likely will just ask to go back on the list, if it's just waiting til it heals then maybe I have a chance.  All a waiting game I suppose.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 15:52:06 »
Well I spoke to the Council today and explained the situation.  I've turned down their initial offer for now as he said it's an horrendous plot.  They've agreed to put me back on the top of the list due to my circumstances and hopefully the other two plots are coming up in the middle of June when I should have a fair idea of what I can and can't do.  So fingers crossed I can get better and start digging sometime soon!  :)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 16:22:26 »
at least thats sortd, hope it all goes well for you posie, you certainly deserve a good turn after all that you've been through.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 16:31:14 »
Good idea Posie

Hopefully you will have a good result with the MRI scan and be able to get a super duper site that may already have some plants in it for you!

Well you can hope for the best!

Good luck with it all - and let us know how it goes!

Old Bird

;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 16:59:16 »
well done you and good on the council for listening to what you had to say

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 17:01:28 »
Great news Posie and good luck with the scan.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 17:07:03 »
Alls well that ends well Posie
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 23:03:02 »
Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated.  I should write a book, the trials and tribulations of posie...I still insist that my mother refusing to buy lucky heather has some hand in my run of bad luck!!! ;D

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 23:08:12 »
nice work posie.glad you can concentrate on getting well without having to worry wether you did the right thing.hope your scan goes well,and yes please do let us know
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2009, 20:40:22 »
Posie are you going to call the book, McDonalds can seriously damage your health.    :-X     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2009, 22:15:11 »
Posie are you going to call the book, McDonalds can seriously damage your health.    :-X     ;D ;D ;D

Nah, I thought "Junk food - the not so silent killer!"

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 23:00:21 »
Well folks, the latest update in the ongoing saga...I went to the independent medical today, there's a lot I want to say but won't, apart from this just to give you a flavour...only someone who has or earns a lot of money would feel the need to ask why I needed to find work urgently after finishing my degree.  That just about set the tone for the rest of it, along with telling me the fracture must have healed by now (magic he was, he hadn't even seen the xrays or my notes!), oh and poked me in the fracture, leaving me in bed for 2 hours this afternoon.

I also went for my mri scan today....and discovered that I have claustrophobia.  They got me in up to my chin, I promptly had a panic attack.  They put an eye mask on me got me in up to my nose and it happened again, at which point I decided enough was enough, particularly as they wanted me in the d**n tube for an hour.  So I'm going back to the consultant to find out if there is an alternative to the mri and if not, then the only way they are getting me in there is if I am stone cold knocked out, never mind sedatives, just make me unconscious!

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 00:36:22 »
i'm sorry the mri scan was so traumatic posie :-*. hope you are feeling a little calmer now.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 01:10:26 »
Unconscious is good, in some circumstances..  :-X

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 14:10:43 »
It's the only way they will get me back in there that's for sure!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 15:37:49 »

I also went for my mri scan today....and discovered that I have claustrophobia.  They got me in up to my chin, I promptly had a panic attack.  They put an eye mask on me got me in up to my nose and it happened again, at which point I decided enough was enough, particularly as they wanted me in the d**n tube for an hour.  So I'm going back to the consultant to find out if there is an alternative to the mri and if not, then the only way they are getting me in there is if I am stone cold knocked out, never mind sedatives, just make me unconscious!

Not just me then, I had one last year and it ended with the guy snarling at me! I only had 20 mins and was OK for the first 2 scans then i panicked but managed to control it kept the panci in my head and then my leg developed an involuntary twitch so he got really cross at me. I knew before I went I was slightly claustrophobic but it was the noise that upset me the most. I would have to be sedated next time, also I was trying to lie still on the object of my pain i.e. my back which I couldn't lie on at the time because it was too painful!

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 15:59:54 »
Take the plot

Make a start  and get some produce in

Let all your friends and family know that you need help!

Cover what you cant plant now with black plastic

get every visitor on the plot to dig just a couple of square yards every visit

Its amazing how quickly you get through it"!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2009, 20:12:01 »
Well done for lasting that long Kea, fair play the nurses were lovely (although didn't help much when they told me that they had to squash larger people in!), they did suggest taking diazepam beforehand, but I really don't feel it would help to be honest.  I had the same problem, lying on a hard surface on top of the fracture was very painful.  Apparently there is an open mri scanner which doesn't give as clear a picture, but if they desperately want me to have one then it's the open one or nothing!

daxzen - I decided against the plot they offered me as it truly was a horrendous nightmare and prone to flooding in the winter, would have just been too much at this point.  hopefully in a months time I'll be in a better place and something else will come up, family will help to a point but they can be difficult to rely on as they're all pretty busy with their own lives.  We shall just have to wait and see.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal