Author Topic: Scanning slides and Neg's.  (Read 7752 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Scanning slides and Neg's.
« on: May 16, 2009, 14:45:06 »
I have thousands old 35mm negatives ( who doesn't??) and certainly didn't feel the urge to scan in each individual print. Many of those are missing anyway.

So, I sent off for a gizzmo which will scan negatives and enable me to download to the 'puter. Should be here next week. If it proves to do the job well, maybe I'll find time to offer some sort of 35mm negatives scanning service to A4A people.
Ken.

grandadg

• Not So New ...
Re: Scanning slides and Neg's.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 15:16:55 »
Hi Ken,

I also have thousands of negs and slides I want to upload so could be interested.
I bought a Canoscan copier from E.bay to do the job when I retire from work, unfortunately it came without the slide carriers (buyer  beware).
If any one has any slide/film carriers they wish to swap/sell please PM me.  As a last resort I could buy replacements from Canon but they will cost more than the copier.

Regards grandadg

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 18:44:06 »
I'm sure I have some slide carriers around. Be back when I dig 'em out.
Ken.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 18:53:40 »
This what you're looking for, Gd?

[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]
[attachment=3]
[attachment=4]

Ken.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 06:49:11 »
I have thousands old 35mm negatives ( who doesn't??) and certainly didn't feel the urge to scan in each individual print. Many of those are missing anyway.

So, I sent off for a gizzmo which will scan negatives and enable me to download to the 'puter. Should be here next week. If it proves to do the job well, maybe I'll find time to offer some sort of 35mm negatives scanning service to A4A people.
Ken.

Hi, I'd be interested to hear how you get on, we scan the odd 1 using a cannon scanner set to a high resolution etc, it also has a slide holder for that purpose is that what grandadg means?
What's the gizmo Ken?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 09:54:47 »
The 'gizzmo' is apparently (not yet arrived) a dedicated bit of kit which you mount slides or negs into and view them on screen. If you like what you see you can download it to 'My pic's' or where-ever.
 I'm expecting it to show damage/dirt on each one before I download, thus giving me the chance to clean or repair.
Ken.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 10:29:54 »
Now that would be interesting, in a similar position here with years of developed film, and often as you say with dirt/marks on, so will be interested to see how you get on.
With the scanner you can preview them so figure out how to clean, but its a long slow process........

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 10:34:43 »
Agreed. With so many slides/negs it's not going to be a one day job. But considering the alternatives, then this does seem the best way forward.
 It boasts a download speed of 1/2 second per neg, although the time will be spent un/loading the strips. Got to be better than individual scanning tho and the quality is one of it's selling points so looking forward to getting to grips with it.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 10:37:43 »
download of 1/2 a second per neg and still maintaining quality/file size !! Blimey software has moved on eh  :D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 12:07:22 »
Well, it arrived an hour ago. Loaded it in and had a go with a not very good snap-shot.
Results.
First one is the first negative scan....very 'blueish'.
Second is an auto (manual control available) correction to that one.
Third is a scan of the photo itself.
[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

[attachment=3]

Not perfect, but with a bit of practice I'm sure it will get better and certainly better than loosing them or paying a fortune 'in-shop' and I get the choice of what to keep and what to ditch. I'll play a bit more.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 12:42:22 »
Hi Ken,

What's the machine? I've been looking at these for some years now but it always seemed the only good ones were too pricey (Minolta, Nikon etc).

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 20:11:15 »
one of ours, bought a scanner from aldi, works well  ;D
sorry, slide was from 1981

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 22:50:35 »
Just bringing this to the front again as I am thinking of buying a slide scanner. 

Ken and Manic, could you please tell me the makes of the ones you have?

Has anyone tried the ones that fit on a camera, such as this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OHNAR-VIDEO-SLIDE-COPIER-MOUNT/dp/B0018D02DI/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1246052547&sr=8-39

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 08:57:32 »
Hiya, Marg..that looks a fancy bit of kit  ;D
ours is a Medion, does 4 slides at a time, we've hundreds so are having to pick and choose , it was from Aldi, i think  :)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 10:18:46 »
Hiya, Marg..that looks a fancy bit of kit  ;D
ours is a Medion, does 4 slides at a time, we've hundreds so are having to pick and choose , it was from Aldi, i think  :)

Thanks for your reply Manic, I will have a Google for one.  Who is Marg by the way?

Pauline

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 18:14:47 »
sorry, pauline, a senior moment, I'd been talking to my mate  ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 21:26:37 »
I have looked in Aldi for the scanner but they haven't got them.  It was probably a year or so ago since they had them. 

Instead we have just ordered the Epson V500 Perfection scanner which, according to reviews on Amazon is good for scanning old slides.  OH had gift vouchers from both sons for Fathers Day which he has put towards it.

I will let you know how we get on.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 22:09:55 »
it'll be intersting to see what you get, some of ours are a bit battered but I'm glad we've scanned them  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal