Author Topic: Grass Problem in compost  (Read 1570 times)

springbok

• Hectare
Grass Problem in compost
« on: May 15, 2009, 08:54:14 »
I sowed a few black buckets with things like radishes, carrots etc.... but instead of getting lots of seedlings, every single bucket has grown is lots of grass in between the seedlings :(

I cant work out how "New" compost could carpet the buckets with grass!!.  Has anyone else had similar problems with Compost before.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Grass Problem in compost
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 09:41:04 »
Not getting carpets but I've noticed more weeds, including grass in my sale plants this year...  :-\

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 10:00:50 »
Not getting carpets but I've noticed more weeds, including grass in my sale plants this year...  :-\

me to ::)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 10:17:49 »
I can relate this problem to one of my lotty neighbours but not in buckets, he sowed several rows of carrots and other plants andwithin days he had loads of grass type seeds coming up, :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 11:40:42 »
I can only guess but I think a lot might be down to the 'preservation lobby' and the greedy supplier.

Could they be adding compost from say the council recycling set up and adding it to the traditional peat compost.

In this way they are saving the 'peat bogs' 'recycling' and generally reducing their 'carbon footprint'

But most of all it is 'cheaper' to produce, the price goes up, and 'more profit' is to be had.

Am I being too cynical  ???

Or it is a case of my own experience?

I know if I have mixed my home made compost with new 'sterile' compost I get the same symptoms.

I leave my thoughts with you! ;)

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 08:25:29 »
I think its dodgy compost as my hanging baskets are displaying the same problem :( :(

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 08:32:20 »
Well if it is now a governmental initiative to have composted green waste in all composts in order to reduce the amount of peat in them (see reply from manufacturer in the rant about compost thread), I'm guessing some sources are going to be more reliable than others...... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal