Author Topic: Asparagus from seed  (Read 916 times)

Pookledo

• Quarter Acre
Asparagus from seed
« on: May 13, 2009, 07:57:14 »
I've planted some asparagus in toilet rolls and they are on my window sill in the kitchen.

Most are around 6" tall and very thin with little fronds. However one is totally different. It's has a main stem, but with lots of bobbles coming out the top.

What should I do with them now? *laughs*

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
Re: Asparagus from seed
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 15:40:42 »
when i found some asparagus sedling on the plot ,i dug them up and transplanted to where i wanted them,and just let em get on with it .they have been there 2 years now and looking very healthy.

Pookledo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 17:34:05 »
when i found some asparagus sedling on the plot ,i dug them up and transplanted to where i wanted them,and just let em get on with it .they have been there 2 years now and looking very healthy.

Cool! I'll just figure out where there permanent home is to be and plant them there :)

becky0129

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 17:52:16 »
I have done some from seed this year i am going to plant next weekend when it is warmer i hope

Becky

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 18:06:53 »
I've twice grown from seed before, and I'm trying again this year.  I grew them on in pots for the first year and planted out the following spring.  First time round that worked well.  Second time I'd moved plots and they got smothered in surface weed.  This time I've sown them direct on the plot, but in a trench of potting compost so they shouldn't have to compete with the weeds.

My suggestion is to grow them on this year and plant out is a clean bed next spring.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal