Author Topic: my shed = motivation, lol  (Read 1975 times)

spudsmummy

• Half Acre
my shed = motivation, lol
« on: May 10, 2009, 08:15:39 »
hi there
first off not sure if this it the right place to post this so please move if it is wrong.

well i have found it hard doing anything down the allotment recently for a few reasons holiday, my son, illness but the main reason i lost heart with it all was because the council got a digger in to remover the mound at one end of my plot(i did not ask for this) but in doing so they dug up my rhubarb, some raspberry canes and all of my bark chippings that i had down for my parking space.
i have tried contacting the council to ask why they did this and if they are going to replace what they damaged but i have had no answer at all not even an email to say they will look into it,  >:(.

so to get back into the swing of it we put my shed up yesterday  :). with the help of my dad and best mate it only took an hour, i still have to felt the roof which i am doing today. 
i am so surprised at how much better i feel about the plot now after all it is really a few peace of wood screwed together, but it is MY SHED, lol
here are a few pictures

is it normal to struggle to find motivation for your plot? what makes you more motivated?

thanks for reading
Paula

6.5 rod plot in southampton, just me and my 2yr old son, hehe       

Mushy Pea

• Acre
Re: my shed = motivation, lol
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 08:29:46 »
Hi Spudsmummy,

You now have the ultimate allotment pick me up - the shed.

Make sure you have a small gas burner & kettle for that necessary "brew" and all the worries fly away.

A bit of rain - cup of tea. Wondering about the slug war - a cup of tea.... Where am I going to plant those seedlings Joe (or Colin etc) gave me? - a cup of tea.....

;D ;D ;D ;D

MP

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 08:45:11 »
Everybody loses heart from time to time You have been motivated enough to put a new shed on your plot so this little spark will probably re-ignite your flame for the lottie.   ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 09:00:28 »
Can only speak for myself....

I find that I also lose motivation sometimes, esp. when things get manic at home, too much coursework etc. and then getting down to the plot and finding that I have more grass and weeds in the beds than on the paths!

I try and set myself a time when I go to the plot by myself with a big flask of tea some choccie bars and def. no children. After a massive weeding/planting session I seem to get going again, but it is a bit soul destroying sometimes, esp. when you get there to discover major slug/ pidgeon attacks...

I would actually be livid with the council if I were you and ring them up continuously until I got an answer.....

Shed looks good by the way, am jealous ;D
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 09:10:12 »
Speaking as someone who only has two metal lockers standing in the open  :'( - I have shed envy!
I lose motivation about once a year normally when someone steals all my sweetcorn (last year) or the foxes go mental in the tomato bed (year before).
What gives me it back is my fellow plotholders who always wade in with a mixture of sarcasm and extreme generosity - then I know why I keep going back..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 09:33:03 »
Send another letter by registered post, and ask the same Q but this time tell them if you don't get answer within 5 days you'll be contacting the papers and they can answer to them. I've used this tactic over the years for a couple of problems when I've come up against the brick wall and its worked really well.
If you have photo's all the better.
We all have times when nothing goes right, what keeps me motivated is going shopping and seeing the prices of fresh fruit and veg. Plus you no whats gone in and on your fresh fruit and veg. And the free workout, so the money you save on gym fees you can spend on SEEDS (did I really say that  ;D).
Don't forget a nice comfey chair to enjoy that cup of tea and choci biscuit. :) ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 09:04:33 »
I'm not surprised you lost a bit of motivation after what the council had done! But hey what a pick me up that shed is!
And I think everyone must get a bit low from time to time - whether its home life, weeds, pests eating your precious seedlings and plants. I know sometimes I go up to the plot and think "argh and humph "and nothings seems like its doing well or that there is sooo much still to do and its disheartening, then other days I walk up there and smile at all the hard work and progress I've made
But the highs of eating your home grown veg will soon pick us all up  ;D

Take Care

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 16:26:02 »
I think that sort of stuff going on does cause a loss of motivation. i've been quite demoralised by the theft of my incinerator and my entire manure pile plus last year the Town council dumped the load of free manure on my fence and globe artichokes. My post is still needing replacing but i have to do a special trip to a farm supply to get a replacement and I just haven't had time yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal