Author Topic: cat's toilet..!  (Read 35189 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: cat's toilet..!
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 22:17:30 »
Please explain.  I have always had cats, and never knew that Lillies were toxic to cats.  Why, they don't eat them. My wonderful, stray cat, is very, very good and only goes to the toilet in one place, where I haven't planted anything.  If he doesn't bury it, I do (what is the problem).  The only thing is do not let the grandchildren dig in the garden as not sure if the poo that might appear might contain disease.  When we had a dog, one of his pees killed everything.  Give me cats everytime.  Most cats are very clean, I must agree got a might annoyed when my cat used to dig up all the bulbs, seeds I had planted but he was trying to help or do a poo.  Most cats do like to dig a very big hole and bury it.  Anything precious that I plant in the garden I protect with wire or netting as I just know my cat will chose that spot to dig.  But he has never, ever, touch wood, been dirty in the house, so I think he is a very clean cat, and does sometimes go next door but she also loves him to bits, inspite of his poo.

shadowdragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 23:04:42 »
our front garden is pea shingle, and the cats were using it as a litter tray until.....

I started pouring my urnie on it, apparently male urine puts them off using it as a toilet, I was skeptical when someone told me but IT WORKED!!! (obviously I used a bucket and wasnt running round the garden playing Firemen!!!)

And apperently Womens Urine is a good weedkiller, something to do with it being more acidic!!!! but the missus is not willing to wee in a bucket so I can try  :o
People kept saying I had lost the plot, but found it again when I got my Allotment.

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 07:37:44 »
I always use old tea bags with something smelly on. First water the area to get rid of some of the smell and then put lots of used tea bags down over the area with lemon or obas (not sure i spelt that right but the stuff you use if you have a cold) oil on them. Smells nice to you, horrible to cats and no shot guns needed  ;D

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 08:03:59 »
lilies are only toxic if the pollen from the floweres gets on there fur then when they clean themselves they digest this and has the affect of poisen to cats very dangerous life threatening even if not cought in time
what i sugest is as i do when the flowere opens they have pollen stems with pollen on the tips i cut these off carefully its a small price to pay for  to save the life of my and other cats comming into contact with them 

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 08:07:04 »
Thanks for all your info...will try some of the safer options!!!

I dont mind scooping it up and disposing of it, but didnt see it yesterday and got a handfull when i was planting out...YUK!!  Luckily had gloves on...!   And i cant keep the back door open 'cos they come in the house!!!

olicat x

Hi there - your user name hasn't escaped my sense of irony on this post  ;D  ;D  ;D

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 08:15:27 »
you can buy something in the garden centre called "get off my garden" it is a green jelly type crsytal which you squirt about and after a few days the cats will poo elsewhere as they hate the smell. I have used it as hate cat poo and it worked a treat, cats are fine but I do object to putting my hand in their poo and you shouldnt eat veg that has been poo'd on in case of toxoplasmosis (or so my vet freind tells me).

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 08:19:14 »
we have two cats and they never go out so at least know one can complain about them......... :)

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2009, 08:22:05 »
i didn't know that Lillie's are poisonous to cats !

Most vets have posters telling cat owners lilies are deadly to cats.

Some cat owners think that gives them the right to dictate what you can or can't grow in your garden. The couple 4 doors down from me have requested on numerous occasions that I remove the small clump of lilies growing near my pond as their cat may brush against them when it comes round to catch, torture & mutilate the frogs & toads living in my garden.

There is a more comprehensive list of plants toxic to cats here.
http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html
To save further misunderstandings I should point out I am not recommending people even consider planting anything on this list such as lilies, potatoes, tomatoes, privet, holly, ivy, tulips, snowdrops, marigolds, narcissus etc... as cat owners may assume you are attempting to poison their pets & complain about the selection of plants in your garden.

Well i wasn't aware of all those potential harmfull things for cats the only thing that bothers me if i was to follow the suggestion of the list i wouldn't have anything in my garden or the street i live in  

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2009, 08:26:49 »
our front garden is pea shingle
I think they are hard-wired to seek out that crunchy feeling under their paws. I had to get rid of my bean-bag chair for this reason!

Re Lilies, they can lick the pollen off their fur. Good tip to snip off the pollen stems.

I dont know how anyone can want to harm these beautiful creatures..

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2009, 08:29:54 »
I love cats, we lost both of ours a few years ago(illness), I've many of the flowers in my garden, luckily ours used our garden so no probs with the neighbours  ;D
I kept a lovely, soft soil part behind a planter which they liked..just think, no cats, more rats and mice  :o ;D

JoeCocker

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2009, 08:44:02 »
We have a cat and two dogs, the cat messes in the raised bed and then the dog digs it up for a snack!

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2009, 08:53:27 »
We have a cat and two dogs, the cat messes in the raised bed and then the dog digs it up for a snack!
at this time of the morning is there a need for this trying to eat my breakfast  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :P

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2009, 17:18:04 »
our front garden is pea shingle, and the cats were using it as a litter tray until.....

I started pouring my urnie on it, apparently male urine puts them off using it as a toilet, I was skeptical when someone told me but IT WORKED!!! (obviously I used a bucket and wasnt running round the garden playing Firemen!!!)

Works for foxes too  :)

PS If applying in a conventional manner,  remember to turn off any outdoor alarm lights beforehand - they invariably come on at just the wrong moment.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 17:31:31 »
lilies are only toxic if the pollen from the floweres gets on there fur then when they clean themselves they digest this and has the affect of poisen to cats very dangerous life threatening even if not cought in time
what i sugest is as i do when the flowere opens they have pollen stems with pollen on the tips i cut these off carefully its a small price to pay for  to save the life of my and other cats comming into contact with them 

According to our vet all parts of the plant are toxic. Some cats like eating leaves, especially Siamese for some reason - it's not just the pollen.
The Tuscan Beaneater

olicat

• Quarter Acre
  • my back garden veg plot..
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2009, 18:29:39 »
More top tips....i don't have cats, my name is a combination if my youngest daughter's names...Oliva Catherine, and not 'cos i am a cat lover!!  Equally, although i do not have or want cats, i do not want to harm them in my quest to be cat poo free!!

It's the Good Life!

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2009, 20:08:03 »
as an owner of 3 non free range cats I am a little miffed at the generalisations regarding cat owners in some posts here!

I really don't like other peoples cats in my garden, i don't like digging up cat poo and i rather like birds. I find tea tree oil on a pumice stone helps to keep cats away from plants i don't want digging up, as does my super soaker (when I am in - hosepipe is all very well when you're home but when i'm at work what to do?). I've also identified the holes in the fence they use ato enter and leave the garden and by covering them with chicken wire i've disrupted the cat route through the garden and we get a lot less  now.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2009, 21:09:26 »
How on earth can you have 3 non free range cats.  Do they never go out.  My cat loves indoors in winter and loves the sun in summer.  Sleeps on the shed roof, sometimes he goes to the toilet next door, sometimes in my garden, he doesn't understand English so doesn't think he is doing anything wrong.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2009, 08:51:37 »
More top tips....i don't have cats, my name is a combination if my youngest daughter's names...Oliva Catherine, and not 'cos i am a cat lover!!  Equally, although i do not have or want cats, i do not want to harm them in my quest to be cat poo free!!

Hi OlicCat - I kind of guessed it would be a combination of names (husband/wife/kids/pets) but I couldn't resist a cheap gag. Sorry  :-[ 
Hope you manage to sort something out with the suggestions on here, I've used crushed moth balls sprinkled on beds before now (they do pen and ink a bit), seemed to stop them for a while, but not long term

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2009, 09:02:06 »
Hi Olicat there is various methods and devices some are good some are c**p there is one or teo i havent tried did some research this is what ive come up with http://www.jparkers.co.uk/Index.cfm?fuseaction=product.standard&continueaction=category.search&search=cat%20shoo&producttype_id=48953 and the second one is http://www.crocus.co.uk/product/_/tools/pest-control/silent-roar-lion-manure/classid.2000004185/

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2009, 06:09:51 »
Our neighbour's cats don't come in our garden because Vera and Graham (Border Terriers) are on constant cat-watch duty.  But at the allotments we have some feral cats and nobody complains because they help the kestrels to keep the mice down. 
I didn't know lilies were poisonous to cats either.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal