Author Topic: worm composting  (Read 7855 times)

rdak

Re: worm composting
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2003, 18:54:42 »
think we have caused a nationwide shortage! I've phoned three Poundstretchers and the boxes are all out of stock!  :(
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Sarah_O

• Not So New ...
  • Another year older another year wiser
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2003, 16:31:15 »
thanks Sarah. Couldn't get the .com address to work, but http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk does.

Sorry rdak yes .co.uk it is :-/ when it comes to the worm wee. I found we were getting alot much more than we could use in our little garden. (pre lottie) and as it got colder the worms tended to bury down and fall into the bottom layer and drown in it. After that I kept the tap open with a container under it to catch the wee. Also I filled a pair of tights with moss (the stuff for hanging baskets) and put it in the bottom sump. It soaks up excess wee and saves the worms from drowning. Every now and then I refresh it with new stuff and put the old in the compost.

I'm going to insulate my worms this year as last year we brought them in. Which was ok but our house isn't very big and we don't really have room. Hope this helps save a few worms.

Sarah
"Brains first and then hard work." -Eeyore

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2003, 17:14:44 »
Ahhhhh, Sarah - what a splendid Christmas story ;) - I think you're describing the fate of my friends' worms exactly....nice to know that you had room at the Inn ;D ;D

I'm really looking forward to getting a Poundstetcher wormery going in the spring (even if, due to popular demand the price goes up to a fiver...) cheers, Lishka

Sarah_O

• Not So New ...
  • Another year older another year wiser
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2003, 17:58:08 »
Me too. I wonder what else the worms will get in their christmas stocking?  ;D
"Brains first and then hard work." -Eeyore

rdak

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2003, 11:21:43 »
well, made my worm box yesterday, after visiting a Wilkinsons store in Wiltshire whilst visiting the in-laws. £1.99 each so not bad..
http://www.wilkouk.com/products/product.asp?sku=95452

now I just need to visit the angling shop and decide whether to put it outside or in our utility room (more convenient to put waste in but don't think it would be too good if the worms decided to make a break for freedom!) Apparently, worms get rid of any smell of rotting food, but we will see!

jethro

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2003, 13:51:02 »
Would a wormery be large enough for an allotment? as i've said before i use 4 ton of manure every year, the poor worms would have to go some to produce that amount, or do you use it just for potting compost.

rdak

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2003, 14:40:50 »
No, I don't think for a moment that I have enough kitchen waste to supply all the nutrients for my allotment, but I plan on using it on areas where manure isn't always used for health grounds (e.g. on salad crops and herbs). Anyway, I'm sure it will pay for itself in a few years and it's something a bit different to try out, so why not?

Do you manure every year? This is my 1st year and I've managed to make a few trips to a farm to get some manure, but I have to say that I don't fancy the idea of having to do that every year...especially when most of my fellow allotment holders looked a bit stunned when I brought the manure in, as they said they've never bothered- and their crops seem OK.

I was hoping that manuring most of the plot would be necessary only every couple of years, as long as I add a bit of leaf mould for structure and make up some nettle/comfrey feed.

How often do others manure? (if that's not a too personal question !  ;D )

jethro

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2003, 18:07:44 »
Hi rdak, with me having heavy clay i must use manure to break it down, i also use grit to open it up. Hopefully by next year it will br friable so i will only use manure every other year.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re:worm composting
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2004, 10:06:43 »
I'm exerimenting with making a small wormery from a stack of plastic garden riddles (seives) before I move on to a larger one for the plot. I'm attempting to breed my own worms as the angling shops here (Belgium) don't seem to know what Tiger/Brandling worms are! I also offered to Wigglywigglers info on outlets here. There is certainly a gap in the market for worm bins in this conservationally interested country. No answer from them!  Food waste is charged for removal, and recycling here is becoming very expensive and is leading to fly tipping. Worm composters would go down very well. (I wish I had a few quid and an empty shed, I'd set-up in biz my self.)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2004, 11:52:45 »
Hooray, glad this thread came back up as I forgot to save the site name and you just know what Ava is going to be doing with his weekends  :P ::) ;D

DarkSkies

• Not So New ...
  • Sunderland born n bred.  Sadly living in Surrey.
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2004, 12:52:06 »
Have you tried www.wormwoman.com also www.wigglywigglers.com they both have lots of info on keeping the worms. The worm woman especially as she talks about insulating and very cold temperatures.  :)

Hope this helps. The trouble at mill site is great. I've got a can-o'-worms from wiggly wigglers in my garden but now I'm thinking about building one for the allotment.

Cheers Sarah

I got a can o worms from an online store too, it currently resides in a mini shelter in my back garden.  On initially getting it I poured in the worms and let them vanish into the bedding, sadly the next morning they had staged their own version of the great escape.  In the cold months since I have insulated the unit with a couple of layers of bubble wrap and the remaining worms seem happy, lardie and content.  Sadly that is only a handful.  At least the garden soil is improving.  If I were to do it again tho I would not buy the C-o-W, I would make my own unit.  In fact I passed the spec onto me dad to tryout himself.  Hopefully his will allow breeding and I can half-inch some of his worms.

rdak

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2004, 13:04:28 »
my home made bin is going OK, but slow. Will post some pics if I can find my phone's detachable camera!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2004, 13:14:25 »
I have the basics in my head and I'll be making my own, but a question. What gap should there be between tubs? Too small and it's crushing the worms? Too big and they'll need a ladder to climb up. And what about the gap around the sides between layers, shouldn't this be closed off?

rdak

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2004, 13:43:16 »
kenkew, assuming you follow the instructions on the link that started this thread, then there is no gap between layers- the boxes rest on top of each other and as the waste is composted and reduced in size, the boxes above will sink with it.
As for the gaps at the side, mine is in a shed at the moment so I have no problem with rain water getting in. If I put it outside in the summer, I will find a way to put a seal around the base of each box- some sort of 'skirt' that will keep water out but still allow boxes to be removed.
By the way - to help stop worms leaving when you set the bin up, leave in a shed and keep the lights on for a few days- worms won't move towards light.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2004, 15:21:18 »
Cheers, Ross. It was the gap I was struggking with. I presume as the food reduces the worms will automatically move a layer. No problems then. I'll have a go at it.

rdak

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2004, 15:30:19 »
yep, the idea is that when they finish the first box, they move up into the next box of fresher food.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2004, 18:54:35 »
I'll keep you potsed on what happens with the first small one and hoefully the 'commercial' one. Thanks.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2004, 16:45:44 »
Funny thing, got my boxes out of the shed to make my wormery, go on to A4All today and this thread has appeared again! Brilliant ;D ;D ;D  Am wondering though, my boxes are blue, wonder if they would prefer black ???
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal