Author Topic: ID Please  (Read 2483 times)

Sinbad7

• Hectare
ID Please
« on: May 08, 2009, 22:44:19 »
Can anyone identify this for me?  I was sure it was a climber as I did buy trellis to grow it up but now I am not so sure.

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt54/Sinbad7/100_9043.jpg

Many thanks if you can

Sinbad7

• Hectare
Re: ID Please
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 22:51:58 »

Lucho

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 23:01:10 »
First one is Leycesteria formosa - a thicket forming/ suckering plant but not a climber. The second one looks a bit like an Ash sapling..?

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 23:10:57 »
Many thanks for identifying them Lucho,  The Formosa had better go down on the plot, I had plans to grow it in a pot on my balcony.

Not sure what to do with an Ash sapling though.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 08:04:05 »
Don't even think about putting the ash in yer garden. I did that a few years ago thinking That I had found a lovely Rowan.In 2 years it had reached the bedroom window. It took Tony ages to get the root of it out.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 09:55:52 »
There's a female ash a couple of plots from me. Don't let it get a hold!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 18:33:07 »
There's sycamore and rose bay willow herb in with that ash too.  I've planted some ash on my allotment to coppice.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 18:38:04 »

This is what I find for Leycesteria formosa.  Doesn't seem to be the same plant as Sinbad's.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 11:11:17 »
I have both the plants Sinbad has listed, the first has come through the fence from the neighbours and is growing in the crack between fence and path...keep meaning to remove it!

The ash has self seeded from nearby and i must get rid of it from both places asap.

I don't know what the first is but i agree with unwashed that it doesn't resemble the Formosa.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 11:19:55 »
definitely the Leycestria or pheasant berry. I've grown it myself from seed and that's what small ones look like

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 17:03:16 »
i'll have to wait till the neighbours are out and get a ladder and look over the fence!

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 17:23:38 »
Hope it is Leycestiria Formosa as I read you can plant them in a container so it is now in a big pot by the front door, it looks quite happy.

The pot the ash is in was a pot with a passion flower in, the passion flower doesn't have many leaves but I have noticed today it is in bud.  Don't think I will disturb the ash or sycamore until the passion flower has flowered.

Thank you for the replies

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 17:59:21 »
Sinbad,
Advise cutting the ash seedling down to soil level. They grow at an alarming rate & could starve the passion flower. PF's can be a nightmare, also, if they fruit - you'll have them coming up for years!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 15:16:48 »
definitely the Leycestria or pheasant berry. I've grown it myself from seed and that's what small ones look like

Ok...during a visit to the garden centre yesterday I noticed a plant with the same leaves and looked at the label. I'm pleased to say Rhubarb thrasher is correct it has different leaves when young!

Or the garden centre has labelled the pot wrong ;D!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal