Author Topic: Climbing rose advice please!  (Read 2335 times)

hild

• Not So New ...
Climbing rose advice please!
« on: May 12, 2009, 23:16:56 »
I'm a bit new to this growing-roses-malarky (that is, I've got lots of roses in the garden but none that I've planted myself) and I know naff all about varieties or actually anything else rose-wise at all ;D.  I want a climbing rose to adorn my new rose arch, and ideally I'l like something that'll look nice, smell nice and flower all summer (along with the moon on a stick, obviously 8)).  Not too fussed about colour, other than I'd prefer it not to be white, as it'll be positioned next to a quite vigorous white-flowered rose-tree!  Can anyone recommend something suitable?  The garden is south-facing, in South London and there's dappled sunlight most of the day (slight shade from an apple tree).

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Climbing rose advice please!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 07:51:31 »
Have a look at David Austins site. They have some lovely climbers. I love Falstaff but it wouldn't be tall enough for your arch.
Janet

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:58:14 »
Look for a climber/rambler that blooms twice in a season, most only give one flush. Also it seems that the ones with the most scent are also the most vigorous, so a small rose arch will not be suitable. Go for one of the 'blues' they are quite tame but you will have to trade scent for colour.

hild

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 20:41:04 »
Thanks for that, gives me a good starting point! 

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 20:43:49 »
I've had a look at the label on my Falstaff & it grows to 21/2 mtrs. I don't know if that is tall enough. Have a look it looks scrummy.
Janet

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 20:51:30 »
Etoille d'Holland (ish) is an excellent, scented, red, vigerous climber... too vigerous for the 7' rose arch I have it on...  :-[

hild

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 22:23:13 »
Ooooh, this is getting difficult!  Just had a closer look at the Falstaff - agree it looks lovely but now I'm confused.  Some places say it grows to 3 meters, others just to 1.2!  Are there two different versions, d'youthink?  Like a bush version and a climber version? 

As I want to grow this onto my (also 7-foot-ish) rose arch I s'pose I ought to give the Etoille de Holland a miss as well  ;) although that is also very pretty.  As is Golden Showers.  And LOADS of others - eeeek, information overload!  Problem is of course that they ALL look lovely in the nice, glossy photies on the websites, what they'll actually look like when I try to grow them myself is anybody's guess  :-\

Oh, one last question (for now) - is it too late in the year to plant roses or will I still get away with it?  I know I won't get any blossoms on it this year anyway but don't want the roses to go in and then promptly keel over and die on me... :-[

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 06:53:23 »
Falstaff can be grown as a bush or a climber. You can plant roses now & you will get flowers this year.
They are pot grown so will be developing in the pot. You could hace a rose each side of your arch or you coald have a clematis climbing through it. We have lonicera Graham Thomas & 2 clems on one side & on the other we rosa Pauls Scarlet & another 2 clems. The scent from GT on a summer evening is wonderful.
Janet

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 07:56:08 »
As Janet says you can plant pot grown anytime... but remember to keep it watered while it settles in. What about Souvenir Du dr Jamain... doesn't get too tall, tolerates shade and poor soil (mine)...

and yes it's scented...  ;D

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 08:25:21 »
We have Paul scarlet on an arch and its not a thug but no real scent which is a shame :(

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 11:05:38 »
i have these 3 but Louise is growing as a shrub but it will grow as a climber in fact it insists that it is sometimes!

The best repeat is Pink Pertpetue which does have fragrance ignore what is said about it not having any and lovely dark glossy green leaves, the best fragrance is Louise odier and quite abundant flowers for a long period.
Constance is the most vigorous climber and is a beautiful fragrant rose but shorter flowering period than the others. You could have two over an arch one each side.

http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/sitePlant.php?plantid=2576

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/roses/c/constance_spry.html

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/showrose.asp?showr=535

hild

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 19:51:37 »
Yes, I've wondered about having a different rose variety on each side of the arch, was just wondering whether it would end up looking a bit strange (or even lopsided if I ended up with a very vigorous one on one side and a lazy one on the other!), particularly if they're different colours...

Think I might be leaning towards possibly a Falstaff, really like the colour and shape of it.  Then of course there's the question of what the garden centre actually can provide!  I'm afraid I haven't got the patience to wait for anything to be delivered and have had some bad experiences with deliveries in the past.  Oh well, we shall see!  :)

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 21:02:05 »
I have a rose arch and you will struggle if you only have one rose as they are most unhappy at being tied growing towards the ground - don't mind the horizontal. Anyhow, I would suggest you look at Zepherine Drouhin - she is easy to prune, thornless and fabulously scented. A slight tendency to mildew but mainly when grown against a wall. Also, have a look at a couple of other bourbon roses - Mme Pierre Ogee and La Reine Victoria. These roses will flower continuously over the summer and have a not too vigorous growth which is basically tall shrub but can be trained to climb.

hild

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 21:40:03 »
Oh, didn't mean to only have one rose plant - merely one variety!  As in, two plants but same sort...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal