Author Topic: People walking through plot  (Read 11136 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: People walking through plot
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2009, 08:45:32 »
Committee members can occasionally be the worst troublemakers around; any voluntary organisation is vulnerable to the empire-builder. I hope we're not that bad though!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2009, 09:11:35 »
Out, Out Damned spot.... (Dogs on a lead only...  ;D )

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2009, 12:01:58 »
i run a simple policy up my allotment
if its grass walk on it, if its dug then do not walk on it
it's as easy as that

and we all understand and get along

i do a full site walk each and everyday
and make mental notes of wots comming up,who is doing wot  and also any weard things that happens.

yes walk onto my plot and have a butchers . but keep to the grass paths. its as simple as that
Don't quite understand.  Are you the site steward or something, and you walk across other people's plots if they have paths that cross them?  My plot neighbours crossing my plot occaisonally to see each other is one thing, but you'd get a flea in your ear if you thought you had a right to inspect daily and cross my plot.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2009, 13:02:37 »
We have a plot holder who does the same but we are pleased he does it.  He will be there to receive manure for you, order seed pots. etc. from the shop which is on another site, and pass messages on, such  as anyone want some spare plants of e.g. cabbages.  He makes sure the gates are locked at night and  we wonder what we would do without him.  There are one couple who ignore him so he ignores them.   No hassle.

tim_n

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2009, 14:49:25 »
I get plenty of people coming to visit the mad young people...  just because I errected huuuuuge blue boxes when I first took over.  But they look on from the edges, not on the plot.

unfortunately I'm on a plot which was split in half.  I'm furthest away from any one water supply (I've got six all in the same distance except one which I do have to walk between two plots owned by the same person.  Technically it's a community path, technically it's also 'his'.  He doesn't seem to mind.

I only object to whomever it is who is leaving cigarette butts outside my shed.  That is annoying.  I expect it was probably the burglars who broke in and knicked everyones gear.  My shed however only has tesco value tools in it.

siandc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2009, 07:26:42 »

How about everyone showing a bit of consideration instead. Take an example from sailors. When we moor alongside and it gets busy,we sometimes end up 3, 4 or even 5 boats abreast, and those on the outside have to cross the others to get ashore. Most people put their own mooring lines ashore (so they don't pull my cleats off the deck), but more importantly, everyone passes over the foredeck.........you don't climb through other people's cockpits.

At least on an alotment the people have a path to walk round, not 50foot of freezing water!!!
I think there's no excuse and to prove a point I'd have to goto a local fishing shop, buy some line and run it between 2 stakes at either end of the plot about a foot high. "Offenders" will be embarassingly reminded that it's your plot as they kiss the dirt!!! If questioned you're simply marking the boundary of your plot with a string line to ensure a straight line!!! ;)

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2009, 07:44:44 »
I think you are lucky thats they just walk through your plot. Last year the elderly guy who only turns his soil over but doesnt plant anything drove his tractor over my plot where my spuds where planted!!!
If he's blind he shouldnt be driving!! GRRRR  >:(

And then a couple who were carrying shed sections to their plot got tired and dropped them on my cabbages!!

OOH I was angry and let them know too!  >:(

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2009, 11:19:46 »

to prove a point I'd have to goto a local fishing shop, buy some line and run it between 2 stakes at either end of the plot about a foot high. "Offenders" will be embarassingly reminded that it's your plot as they kiss the dirt!!! If questioned you're simply marking the boundary of your plot with a string line to ensure a straight line!!! ;)

love it!!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2009, 13:04:04 »
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2009, 13:30:31 »
On our site there is a "central avenue" that everyone walks up to get to their plots.

There is no need for anyone to walk on anyone elses plots for any reason unless invited for a cuppa or going for a chat.There is defo no reason to walk on the plots of those who are not there....but it happens!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

shadowdragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2009, 14:37:45 »
Mines

Im tempted to get one for the front gate and video the postman as he walks up the path  ;D
People kept saying I had lost the plot, but found it again when I got my Allotment.

carbonel11

• Half Acre
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2009, 19:43:33 »
Hi all, I would never walk on someone elses plot unless invited to do so, I thought however that the paths around plots were communal and that was why it was the plot holders responsibility to maintain them in a passable fashion?

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2009, 19:56:01 »
The grass paths cut by the Council around the allotments are communal and no-one has a problem with that.  The path adjoining allotments either side, people don't walk down, firstly one side is very over grown and has blackberries growing along it with can be quite lethal.  I have been cutting this path as the lady has given up due to age and that is why it has got overgrown.  If I am talking, which is quite often, I will walk along someones grass path to speak to them and if I walk on a bed, ask them if it is OK if anything is growing to have a closer look at the plants.  To walk on someones allotment uninvited is a bit like people walking along the street and walking round someones back garden without permission, very rude.

carbonel11

• Half Acre
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2009, 08:28:19 »
Hi Borlotti, I'm  still a bit confused. At our site there are two roads through the site passable by car ect. However some of the plots can only be accessed by passing along the grass paths around other plots. Also the standpipes are situated so that you have to pass along these grass paths. I therefore assumed that they had to be for communal use. Is it possible that different sites have different common agreements of use ?

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2009, 09:02:13 »
On our site you do not walk onto someones plot without their permision !
We have a monthly  plot competition and all plots are inspected but we still only walk on the pathways !!
Even if we are visiting a friends plot we ask if we can come aboard  ;D

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2009, 09:09:34 »
On our site, all the paths around & between plots are communal and it's our responsibility to keep them clear and trimmed. But loads of us have paths within our plots - they are private.

But if - as Secretary - I need to talk to someone I will go onto their plot and no-one (yet) has ever objected. Similarly, if anyone needs to come and see me while I'm working on my plot, they do and I don't object.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2009, 09:17:54 »
I suppose the size and layout of some allotment sites can cause problems.

I visited one site a couple of months ago and although I did not walk further than the first plot,the rest looked very "undefined"

Our site is small,only 24 plots and very tidy.

The attached picture gives you an idea.The plots go left and right off the central avenue so like I said before,no need to walk on anyone elses plot.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 09:20:06 by Fork »
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2009, 09:26:00 »
On our site there are 2 main walkways that separate the sections between the largest portion of the plots and then there are walkways around the entire perimeter. Plot holders are meant to only stick to these walkways. The paths between individual plots belong to the plot holders are are only meant for the individual plot holder. Our layout is similar to forks, but on a bigger scale. Our neighbours certainly use the paths between the plots around them when fetching water etc, but not paths across actual plots. I would be very annoyed if I found someone doing that. It is just lazy. If people come for a nosey on my plot that is fine, but I would expect them to do this from the communal paths, or at least the paths either side.

If your plot doesn't have a defined edge then define it yourself. Then put a sign up asking them to stay on the paths around your plot.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2009, 11:04:02 »
I will try and explain, the grass paths between allotments are maintained by allotment holders and therefore should not be walked on, in fact one side path belongs to my allotment and the other side to another allotment holder.  That is three allotments side by side, 2 paths in between.  Then we have the wide Council path that goes all round the blocks of allotments, so everyone has access to their plot via a Council path and as the water tanks are on the Council paths no-one has to walk across or alongside allotments.  I suppose it is the way they are laid out.  It is not quicker to get water by cutting across as just go to the end of own allotment onto main path and walk to nearest water tank. 

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2009, 11:08:10 »

Our site is small,only 24 plots and very tidy.

That's a park, not an allotment surely?

It does have one thing in common with our site, baths under every water tap. I just wish the last person to use the bath water would remember to fill them again though.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal