Author Topic: People walking through plot  (Read 11108 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: People walking through plot
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 23:52:35 »
Does your site have a policy about these?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 07:55:30 »
 ;D ;D ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 14:47:41 »
I agree with flossy and cornykev, put up a fence/chicken wire/anything as an obvious deterrent. I certainly wouldnt create a path for them cheeky beepers!!

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 17:11:44 »
well out of order, paths go around the plots, if you have made one or two across your plot for your use then they have no right to walk across them to get to the butts, just have a stern word and tell them to go round or like suggested, put some rope or the like around your plot, thats what I have done around mine even though I dont have the problem with anyone walking across my plots..... >:(

amphibian

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 20:24:35 »

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 23:03:29 »
Put your manure pile there to block access ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 10:35:27 »
I found a stranger on my path in the centre of my plot - it's grass, so looks slightly (but not much) like the boundary paths, and because I thought he had made an honest mistake, said politely but loudly "Excuse me, that's my garden you're walking on," and he apologised and became a good and entertaining friend.

On another site I did have a problem with jay walkers and have set up a row of gooseberry, blackcurrant and goji berry bushes, supplemented with bamboos and strings about waist height, while and clearly visible. It's some time now since I've found strange footprints.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009, 14:27:36 »
PLEASE let us know how you get with this, I for one would LOVE to know!!  ;D

NettleNik

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 15:13:46 »
Some very wicked suggestions there ;D - I will update - hoping to send OH up there today (I have the lurgy) and see if they repeat it this weekend. Cheeky bleeders! Thanks for all your suggestions - I love the one with the man trap - if only I could! LOL!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 15:34:26 »
If you like sloe gin why not plant some blackthorn..... natures own barbed wire....

chrisc

the-goodlife

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 15:59:06 »
tell to "GET ORFF YOUR LAND"  or better still buy some land mines off the black market lol!!!. or empty the water but and put it the other side of your plot then they wont be able to walk over your bit.

I would have a word they should respect the rules and walk around the lazy gits
today i will be growin veg

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 16:37:21 »
I would go with the obstruction  idea.  Dig a narrow width of ground.  Stick some canes in with cross strings and if they say anything asked if they think it would be a good place for raspberries to grow.  Of course if they say no you have to come up with an alternative but it may give them the idea it is to be cultivated.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2009, 19:03:39 »
A claymore mine on a tripwire would do the job nicely.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2009, 12:33:01 »
any update on this?

NettleNik

• Not So New ...
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2009, 22:55:31 »
Hi ReddyReddy! No no update as these plot holders are only up on a weekend (that I've seen so far). But I have got a shed that I'm going to put across part of their walkway!! That should make it clear where the boundary is - putting the shed up at the weekend - weather permitting. Will put screening up when the raised beds are completed (timber coming tomorrow) - so the buggers will have no excuse - and if they do keep on walking on the plot, I shall then have a quiet word to the committee. So I shall do it nicely nicely and not cause WW3 with my allotment neighbours. ;)

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2009, 03:33:03 »
i run a simple policy up my allotment
if its grass walk on it, if its dug then do not walk on it
it's as easy as that

and we all understand and get along

i do a full site walk each and everyday
and make mental notes of wots comming up,who is doing wot  and also any weard things that happens.

yes walk onto my plot and have a butchers . but keep to the grass paths. its as simple as that

HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2009, 04:56:19 »
This all sounds very unappealing to me. I mean, don't people go to allotments partly to socialize with others? Reading this, I am reminded of the Wild West and staking out claims.

How about everyone showing a bit of consideration instead. Take an example from sailors. When we moor alongside and it gets busy,we sometimes end up 3, 4 or even 5 boats abreast, and those on the outside have to cross the others to get ashore. Most people put their own mooring lines ashore (so they don't pull my cleats off the deck), but more importantly, everyone passes over the foredeck.........you don't climb through other people's cockpits.

This is standard behaviour among sailors of all north European nations, and it is simply a matter of showing consideration.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2009, 07:25:55 »
This is standard behaviour among sailors of all north European nations, and it is simply a matter of showing consideration.

Exactly!
Your sailing analogy is a good one (have been in the same position), but you at least acknowledge someone and what's going on around you - I think these people weren't.

Everyone on our site has a potter around now and then to see what people are up to, chat with people etc, and I for 1 really like it and I'm sure it will stay that way, but the situation NettleNik describes goes beyond that.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2009, 08:36:49 »
Most people around allotment sites are perfectly decent, but you do get the odd one. Not so long ago someone was going round sawing through committee members' gateposts on my site! There have been a few other unpleasant goings-on as well, but given that we've got 80 or so plots, we're bound to get the occasional nutter.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2009, 08:41:54 »
Most people around allotment sites are perfectly decent, but you do get the odd one. Not so long ago someone was going round sawing through committee members' gateposts on my site! There have been a few other unpleasant goings-on as well, but given that we've got 80 or so plots, we're bound to get the occasional nutter.

Sounds like perfectly reasonable action to direct at some committees I've heard of :D..... our AGM took about 15 minutes and half of that was talking about nothing much of consequence.... my mates got a plot in Wolvercote where the political intrigue would leave Machiavelli's head spinning, their AGM took hours and included a long discussion on various recent and pending legal cases bought by the various plotholders against other plotholders, the committee, the Wolvercote Commoners Association etc etc..... apparently the local WI chucked out Lady Macbeth for not really being tough enough......

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal