Author Topic: For Tee Gee  (Read 1048 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
For Tee Gee
« on: May 20, 2009, 09:29:53 »
I read one of your posts about growing squash up canes and you referred to stopping the side shoots. Have looked on your site for info but it only mentions stopping the leader. Could you please expand on this for me as I want to grow some terrific squash this year.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: For Tee Gee
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 15:43:53 »
I basically grow them like cucumbers i.e. the fruits tend to grow on the laterals (side shoots) so I try to encourge these asap.

This entails removing the growing tip after about six pairs of leaves ( some people allow them to grow higher in order to get more side shoots............I might try both ways this year as I am growing five and see if one way is better than the other!)

I allow these lateral/side shoots to grow on,and I tie them in as necessary.

These laterals/ sideshoots can throw side shoots also, so I delay their removal until  I see signs of flowering/fruiting on either lateral.

The reason for this delay is; the original lateral might not throw a flower so hopfully the next lateral/side shoot might.

Once I have the number of fruits I want (about two per lateral max) I cut off all redundant side shoots so that the plants strength goes to where I want it most; namely the fruit.

ps Have had a re-read of the above and it sounds a bit garbled ???

I find it easier to demonstate something rather than than write about it so I will try to remember to take my camera with me when I do it this year and produce another slide show for next year and the future.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: For Tee Gee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 18:25:10 »
Thankyou so much Tee Gee. I have saved your instructions so that I can refer to them as the year progresses. I will keep you updated as to the success of my squash. (hopefully)
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal