Author Topic: germinating seeds  (Read 4032 times)

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
germinating seeds
« on: May 07, 2009, 20:47:08 »
we have just brought some Protea and Bird of Paradise seeds back from Madeira,can anyone give me any tips for germinating them,temps,soil etc please? ??? ???

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: germinating seeds
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 20:55:45 »
Hot... you didn't pick up any Echium Pininana did you? The one in the garden doesn't look like it will survive to flower...  :'(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 22:01:17 »
I've tried that from POD a couple of times. I haven't got it through the winter; the first time it died in the open, the second it died in a mini greenhouse.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 14:06:16 »
There is a bit here on Strelitzia; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Strelitzia/Strelitzia.htm

Sorry I know nothing about Protea

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 13:17:25 »
Thanks tee gee, printed it off,o.k i hope, as you seem to be switched on with all our questions do you know anything about maracuja banana and would you like a couple of seeds? ???

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 14:28:17 »
I've managed to get it through two winters... but it's dieing now...  :'(

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 14:59:06 »
do you know anything about maracuja banana and would you like a couple of seeds?

New one on me, did a google and all I could find (in english) was maracuja passion fruit.

Regarding the seed thanks but no thanks.

Perhaps if I knew a bit more about them I would try them as I often try my hand with exotic seeds.

I take a rain check for now and wait to see if this thread develops a bit first!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 15:09:41 »
Maracuja banana (Passiflora mollissima) will grow outdoors, if the frost catches it it will regrow from the roots. If you want ripe fruit then it is better grown in a greenhouse or conservatory as it doesn't ripen reliably outdoors.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 16:16:42 »
maracuja banana and would you like a couple of seeds? ???
mine died and the fruit didn't ripen, I grew it outside, live and learn    ;D

skintnbitter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 18:28:26 »
I bought some Bird of Paridise seeds for my dad for xmas about 3 years ago. Each year i pick weird and wonderful seeds for him to see if he can get them to grow as a bit of fun.

He was told to rub the hairy / rough part of the seed with some sand paper to remove most of it,  then he sat the seeds in a plastic bottle with a little water on top of the radiator for a couple of weeks, then he planted them in Sand / Soil.

We now have a plant each, Dad keeps his in the concervatory as it is about 4 feet tall and i keep mine in the kitchen as it is only around 18 inch.   No flowers as yet!

pamsdish

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 18:31:54 »
Had a quick look and they seem to have your answer finebushpeople.co.za

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 20:06:38 »
 ;D ;D Thank you all for your help especialy pamsdish i have just been on their website, i paid £5 for 6 seeds in madeira and was happy.Once again thank you all. :) :)

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 20:33:15 »
I lived in South Africa for 20 years and there was a protea forest at the end of our street. Think protea seeds need to go through a bush fire to germinate....... don't know the Brit equivalent of a bushfire;-)

Gen in Northumberland
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 12:58:14 »
Just spotted this thread...  :o

I've got a bit of experience in germinating birds of paradise... though my experience has varied from up to down at times!

http://www.moonbells.com/strelitzia/strelitzia.html

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 15:38:24 »

I was told to simulate fire (this was for an Australian plant) by sowing in a seed tray them laying a piece of newspaper over the tray and setting fire to it. Haven't yet tried it. Presumably, most of the heat will go upwards but there will be some heat and the ash drops into the tray and that should stimulate germination.

However the Protea seeds that I have apparently aren't the type that need fire but another type requiring a sequence of warmth and cold - which explains why they are still in the packet!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 23:03:08 »
you can purchase 'smoke' papers which you soak in water before soaking the seeds, this aids germination of some species, which prefer to grow after a fire. ;) 
You couldn't make it up!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 10:20:37 »
I got my smoke primers from here: they also sell seed at a fraction of the cost of getting a packet from the garden centre here!

http://finebushpeople.co.za/farmstore/catalog/accessorystore.htm

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 10:32:25 »
don't know the Brit equivalent of a bushfire
Genlistlass... it's called swealing.. burning off rough grass moorland... frowned upon now but once widely practiced, hence the dialect word for it...  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 13:15:19 »
Swaling's OK if it's done properly, while the ground under the grass is damp. That way you burn off old, dead grass, scorch off any trees or bushes starting to grow through it, and maintain rough pasture or young heather in a good state. Trouble is, people these days often burn when the ground's dry, and it gets out of control.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal