Author Topic: Builders bags, weed-proof?  (Read 3277 times)

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
Builders bags, weed-proof?
« on: March 31, 2014, 17:37:58 »
The one cubic metre bags made of woven polyprop. — do they stop weeds the same as landscape fabric?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Builders bags, weed-proof?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 19:46:24 »
Umm...not sure..though I haven't had any plants growing through the bags neither.
They probably are as weed proof as 'proper' membrane....says one who has just weeded strawberry runners that managed to push roots through 'proper' membrane and some ornamental alliums that did pushed through from undernearth..
 :BangHead:
Then again....they are not 'weeds' so the membrane is not supposed to work against them... :drunken_smilie: :tongue3: :glasses9:

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 21:25:48 »
I have used them in the past to compost the nasty weeds - nettle roots, dandelions, bindweed, couchgrass etc. I filled a bag to the top and then covered it and left it for a year. It worked well. the only thing that tried to escape was the couch grass. It is able to push its way through the weave, but only a little made it through.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 22:22:12 »
Ian, so happy you asked this. I have two of these bags and loads and loads of buttercup and couch grass. So do you just put them in/cover with carpet and leave for a year, Winecap?

Does it go down to good compost?
Jackie

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 19:29:27 »
I've used them as compost bins, and they do contain most weeds, but I was thinking of use as a ground membrane.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 20:56:47 »
I appreciate the composting theme is a little off topic, but just to answer the question, I riddle the compost after a year and put back anything that isn't ready. Most of it is ready in the year.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 22:14:44 »
Thanks Winecap....sorry Ian, hadn't realised you meant to go off topcashback, I hadn't realised you meant groundcover membrane use
Jackie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal