Author Topic: Florence Fennel  (Read 2352 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Florence Fennel
« on: May 06, 2009, 09:24:43 »
Hi
I tried growing this last year in the garden, and didn't get much of a result it didn't have a "bulb", it was just long and thin and the others just went to seed. So this year I want to try again but up on the allotment which is heavy clay in parts. Now I know Fennel doesn't like clay! What I'd like is some tips on how best to grow it.
I have a spare crate that I could add some top soil/grit into, but it is fairly small, or I could create a sort of trench using some top soil & multi-purpose compost, and grow them in there.
Would you guys recommend trying to start them off in modules, I've heard they don't like transplanting, would loo rolls work? Or would I be better trying to sow direct?
also when do I sow, I keep reading late spring / late summer so it doesn't bolt, so I'm presuming now would be a good time to try the 1st batch.
basically lots of questions - and all about Fennel!
Thanks 1066

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
Re: Florence Fennel
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:57:56 »
it is florence globe fennel seeds you have, not the herb fennel?

I find it grows easily from seeds in modules then planted out. I don't give it any special treatment.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:00:14 »
Hi
I tried growing this last year in the garden, and didn't get much of a result it didn't have a "bulb", it was just long and thin and the others just went to seed. So this year I want to try again but up on the allotment which is heavy clay in parts. Now I know Fennel doesn't like clay! What I'd like is some tips on how best to grow it.
I have a spare crate that I could add some top soil/grit into, but it is fairly small, or I could create a sort of trench using some top soil & multi-purpose compost, and grow them in there.
Would you guys recommend trying to start them off in modules, I've heard they don't like transplanting, would loo rolls work? Or would I be better trying to sow direct?
also when do I sow, I keep reading late spring / late summer so it doesn't bolt, so I'm presuming now would be a good time to try the 1st batch.
basically lots of questions - and all about Fennel!
Thanks 1066

Fennel does like warm weather - so last year was never going to be a good one.
There are different varieties of Fennel and some should not be sown until after June - maybe they are sensitive to daylength and will go to seed if sown before. Check on the seed packet.

I start mine off inside in coir pots - so no root disturbance as they just grow straight through them. I have used ordinary pots too and they are OK as long as there is minimum root disturbance when planting out - easier with a fibrous compost as it holds together more. As the bulb is formed from a swollen stem rather than the root its not that critical. 

Use a cloche/fleece shelter if its cool/windy/wet when planting out to keep them snug. I don't think the clay matters as much as the drainage, cold/wet soil will not be appreciated. So add some compost if you can to improve the drainage - but don't let them dry out as that can encourage tougher stems.

It sounds like an excess of TLC but then again the flavour is worth it.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:08:01 »
thanks for the replies. the 1 I tried last year is Sweet Florence Fennel and the new for this year is Mantovano Florence fennel (from real Seeds). So both bulbing.
The cold /wet soil makes sense, so I'll add what I can to reduce that, and do as you suggest about starting off in pots and see how I go. I think 1 of the problems I may face is the soil drying out (a combination of wind and clay) so I'll have to see if I can mulch. would a weed suppressant fabric help with that?
thanks again
And the flavour is exactly why I want to grow my own!

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 10:19:44 »
i found all that were sown last year before June all bolted but the second set that were sown direct during July month gave me great crops.

mine are grown in raise beds but then all my crops are in raised beds.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 10:30:15 »
 :) I grew this successfully for the first time last year, but sowed from June onwards/ shades x
grow your own way

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 11:04:39 »
So a later sowing does seem to be successful, thanks again for the info

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 16:45:19 »
Keep them watered-and I do wonder if some varities suit some soils?

Zefa Fino used to bolt no matter but `Rudy` does well

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 17:50:44 »
Thanks for the info Cleo, watering can be a bit of a prob on the lottie, I sometimes only get there 2/3 times a week, so things do have to fend for themselves a bit more than if they were in the garden
interesting what you say about varieties and soils

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal