Author Topic: Mowing after Roundup on brambles  (Read 5622 times)

Mr Music

Mowing after Roundup on brambles
« on: May 04, 2009, 09:30:08 »
Good morning, everyone,

Firstly, below is an exact copy of a message I posted 10 minutes ago on another part of this site.  I'm repeating it here because I think I chose the wrong forum.  (As you can guess, I'm not only a complete novice when it come to gardening, I'm also a complete novice on this site!)  And so, to my problem ...

I am a complete, utter novice at gardening and allotments.  We acquired a plot of land behind the house which has never been cultivated.  We cut down the brambles and nettles, and dug and dug and dug, starting about a year ago and keeping going on and off but not digging the whole area.  Rather dishearteningly, the brambles have come back even where we dug twice.  I have decided to resort to Roundup.  My question is, how soon after spraying can I mow the area to leave it looking more acceptable?  I was hoping to mow it after a week, by which time the Roundup should have got into the root system.  Any advice would be most gratefully received.

I've checked the weather forecast for here (Totnes in south Devon) and there's no rain for quite a few days, so now's a good time to spray.

If for some reason this request is in the wrong part of the site, I'll happily move it, of course.  By the way, our ultimate goal is to establish raised vegetable beds, but I realise that we are some way off right now.

With best wishes,

Mr Music

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Mowing after Roundup on brambles
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 09:40:09 »
I'd say you'd be OK after a week. Are you planning to mow the area with the brambles in it? That alone will kill them, eventually. I've got the same problem myself in a couple of places, and I'm probably going to use roundup on them myself this year.

Mr Music

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 09:45:29 »
Hi Robert,

Yes, we want to keep the whole area mowed and under control, and eventually we will rotovate the whole lot and start again.  However, I am pretty sure that if we do rotovate without killing the roots, the little so-and-sos will just come back up again, no matter what you do.  Our aim is to leave the bramble shoots long enough for the Roundup to get into the roots before we mow what we have at the moment.  If we leave the whole area too long, we'll be back to where we were a year ago, borrowing/hiring big motor-driven equipment to clear it again, whereas a weekly mow keeps it under control.

Best wishes,

Mr Music

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 09:51:36 »
Glad you asked this.  I have a patch of brambles at the end of my plot and I am wondering how best to clear them.  Welcome to the site.

the-goodlife

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 10:58:49 »
As from the farming background!

Give the round up its full 14day period this will make sure the chemical is in the roots And dead for sure, if you have used the non bramble round-up there may be a likelyhood some of the roots may regrow, so i would dig the crowns of the brambles out and burn if you can?, and keep an eye out for any regrowth,

from a very wet doncaster
today i will be growin veg

Mr Music

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 11:28:34 »
Many thanks for clear, precise advice.  It won't go down well with SWMBO, as she likes everything to be done yesterday, but I think I will avoid the mow until a fortnight.  I discovered some SBK in the shed, so used that initially directly onto the big crowns which are clearly visible, plus on the vigorous, more establised shoots.  I then used the Roundup to go over the whole area.

So, job done for now, it's off to the beach for a picnic (I have to admit we cheat, and sit in the motorhome!).

Best wishes from a sunny (ish) south Devon.

Mr Music

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 00:48:32 »
As from the farming background!

Give the round up its full 14day period this will make sure the chemical is in the roots And dead for sure, if you have used the non bramble round-up there may be a likelyhood some of the roots may regrow, so i would dig the crowns of the brambles out and burn if you can?, and keep an eye out for any regrowth,

from a very wet doncaster

I hadn't realised there were 2 sorts of roundup?! I've tried to dig mine out but if I can't get it all or if they come up between other stuff I've been painting roundup onto the leaves, which die back about 10 to 14 days afterwards. Now I'm presuming I don't have the "bramble roundup" which means the blighters will be back to say hello again?

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 11:34:18 »
In my experience, well-established brambles will resist even professional Roundup.  I agree with earlier advice to leave them for two weeks, after which they should be looking very sorry for themselves.  I'd then mow down to ground level.

Leave them a month, and then treat the surviving regrowth with Roundup again.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 11:37:18 »
Thanks for that, I can see I'll just have to keep having a go at them

the-goodlife

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 19:22:46 »
the bramble/brushwood round-up is available from wilko,s,

or you can use a chemical called clinic ace available from cwg last time i checked it was around £48 + vat for 5ltrs just mix a triple dose and bushwack!! lol gone i did some bind weed last year with this and its not come back this year!!
today i will be growin veg

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 19:46:05 »
a good 2 weeks and a couple too be sure should be ok  :D
i don't belive death is the end

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 22:47:16 »
If the brambles are large mow or cut then spray the regrowth. This saves on chemical, ensures better coverage, and avoids spray drift. Dont cut the sprayed regrowth untill you see it looking sickly from the spray to allow the weedkiller to translocate deep into the roots.

If you buy Roundup make sure it is the concentrate, the ready mixed I believe is a weak dose mainly for grasses. What you need is a strong dose as used for stumps and woody growth. It is important not to soak the spray on, a watering can is not ideal,  a medium volume spray quickly over the weeds is all that is needed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal