Author Topic: Globe Artichokes  (Read 1886 times)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
Globe Artichokes
« on: May 04, 2009, 20:46:09 »
I've planted a couple of offsets in the garden. I have read that you have to remove the flower heads as soon as they form in year 1, you can harvest them in year 2 and you should replace the plants in year 3. I know if I was growing from seed this would definitely be year 1, but is it still year 1 if i've planted offsets?

I'm assuming offset is the correct word for the chunks of root I bought in Wilko but please correct me if there is a proper term.

thanks in advance

Jo

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Globe Artichokes
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 21:10:41 »
We harvested from new offsets, I guess it must have been year 1, from July till December.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 21:16:16 »
I grew mine from seed last year and had an ncredible harvest from four plants. Unfortunately the harsh winter has managed to kill two of the plants - but the other two are fighting fit and I guess if i hadn't been so cautious to make sure they had survived I could have taken offsets from them.

I have now sown more seeds from seeds provided by another member in the swop shop. All have germinated.

Last year was my first year of growing them so a bit hit or miss but i don't think they suffered by being harvested.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 23:35:00 »
I grew 3 green globe from seed three years ago Legless and they have been fine right through all the winters up here in Scotland with no protection. I think they're best in the 4th year so dont throw them out till after next summer!

This year I'm growing gros de leon, provence and chioggia, all of which are young seedlings at the moment. I'm looking forward to seeing how they fare.

I have a vision of the bottom of my plot with globe artichokes poking up amongst the rambling squash and courgettes with my tall peasticks and big runner bean structure. Like a mad food wilderness.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 00:08:37 »

I have a vision of the bottom of my plot with globe artichokes poking up amongst the rambling squash and courgettes with my tall peasticks and big runner bean structure. Like a mad food wilderness.

It sounds a wonderful place !

And reminds me that I was given some seeds, so I must search them out and sow them......

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 08:33:21 »
I thought my cardoons (closely related to globe artichokes) had been killed by the winter, but they're coming up again stongly now.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 09:03:54 »
 :) my globe artichokes and cardoons never seem to die in the winter, even after this years hard winter they just wouldn't stop growing!!

all the books say cover with compost over winter, but as I say, mine never get to the stage where I can cover them.

I've grown them all from seed (purple and green) and have picked from the first year. / shades x
grow your own way

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 10:27:50 »
I thought my cardoons (closely related to globe artichokes) had been killed by the winter, but they're coming up again stongly now.

mine too, it seems pretty indestructible.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 13:33:06 »
I lost a couple of GAs over the winter, they were well mulched up, but are in a bit of an exposed position. The survivors have come up a treat, though.
The Tuscan Beaneater

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 20:12:54 »
thanks everyone.

Sawfish - i very much like your vision.  ;D

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining