Author Topic: Fucshias  (Read 1766 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Fucshias
« on: April 30, 2009, 07:51:03 »
I bought 15 fucshias Annabelle yesterday. They are quite big plants, if I were to snip the tops of & use them for cuttings would it delay the flowering of the plants.
Janet

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Fucshias
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 10:14:17 »
I have in the past taken cuttings from fuchsias and found that, cost wise it is well worth taking loads off the mother plant, so I would only ever buy one of each variety.

It should not delay flowering, in fact by the rules of reproduction it could even induce it but it does not take long for the cuttings to catch up with their growth.

Dead heading is a time consuming must though.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 10:49:01 »
Every time you pinch a fuchsia out you delay flowering by 6-8 weeks !! this is how we know when to stop pinching out for showing !!
Having said that we do not stop pinching out until the last week in May doing it at every 2nd new leaf joint, triphillias should only be stopped until April as they take much longer to flower.
Feed with Chempak 2 until buds appear then change to chempak 3.
Watch out for whitefly.
take cuttings and put them into pots (5" pot i put 10-12 cuttings in ) no rooting powder, water in but dont get water on the cuttings them cover with a plastic bag and keep shaded, they will root in about 3 weeks, you will see the cutting looking fresher and greener :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 14:37:50 »
I agree with Flowerofshona.

Just a point Dawn! I am led to believe that Chempak has gone into receivership within the last few days. I for one hope this is not the case as their liquid fertilisers are first class.

Just for the record let me translate the Chempak numbering system for those who don't know it;

No2; is a High nitrogen fertiliser - 25:15:15

No3; is a balanced fertiliser - 20:20:20

No 4; Is a high potash fertiliser - 15:15:30

No8; is a low nitrogen fertiliser - 12½:25:25

So if it is the case that Chempak have gone to the wall then use any other brand that meets the spec of the above...............Vitax do similar products but there numbering system is different

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 16:44:47 »
OMG !! i hope they haven't  it would be such a shame i've used them for many years and its great for the fuchsias :(

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 01:33:00 »
A complete coincidence, today I've been looking for fertilizer, especially Chempak 2.

I couldn't find it in any of the 4 GCs I tried. Only one GC had any Chempak stuff at all.

Ended up buying Miracal-Gro "All Purpose soluble plant food" 24-8-16 (+boron, copper, iron, manganese ,molybdenum & zinc)  £3.49 for 1Kg
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal