Author Topic: Apple tree help please  (Read 1752 times)

calamityjayneuk

• Half Acre
  • Stanley, Co Durham
Apple tree help please
« on: April 28, 2009, 21:06:16 »
Hi everyone

My best friend bought me an apple tree for my lottie, it was such a nice thoughtful present. She hasn't got much gardening knowledge and she has bought me a Brambley seedling tree, it says on the label that it will grow to 3.5 meters.

It's about 5ft tall now, I know they do grow slowly, but I haven't got any suitable ground space to give up to a great big tree. I am wondering if it can be grown in a very large container - I have one about 3 ft long by 2ft wide by 3ft deep.

Any ideas about how I can control the size?
When I'm not working, I'm diggin' or craftin'

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Apple tree help please
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 21:31:25 »
You could try growing it as an espallier..........I've got a Bramley trained as a cordon which is pruned severely, and it fruits ok! Bramleys are usually pretty vigerous trees so will respond to pruning fairly hard, but you will have to keep on top of it!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

calamityjayneuk

• Half Acre
  • Stanley, Co Durham
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 21:33:49 »
hmmm interesting. I thought I would need a dwarf variety to do that, what do I need to do, just keep it down to one or two branches?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 22:31:02 »
Bramley's a strong grower, so if it's only going to grow to 3.5m or so, you've got it on a semi-dwarfing stock already, at a guess M26. That's what my Bramley's on, and it's quite controllable. You need to check out pruning methods - I've never tried this - and do it systematically, but I don't think you'll have any great problem.

calamityjayneuk

• Half Acre
  • Stanley, Co Durham
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 22:44:01 »
Thanks Robert

that makes me feel much better - I was panicking that it would get all out of control and take over. My OH has suggested we break out some of the old concrete that was once a greenhouse base in the corner of the lottie. I think we might do that.

Looking on the internet, some sites say I need 2 more apples for pollination, what do you have next to yours?

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 06:47:04 »
Thanks Robert

that makes me feel much better - I was panicking that it would get all out of control and take over. My OH has suggested we break out some of the old concrete that was once a greenhouse base in the corner of the lottie. I think we might do that.

Looking on the internet, some sites say I need 2 more apples for pollination, what do you have next to yours?

Jonagold and Granny Smiths, but that's only cos that's what they sold in Aldi!  :)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 09:01:45 »
Bramley doesn't produce any pollen, and any apple needs another tree to pollinate it. Trouble is, Bramley won't pollinate the partner, so that's why you need the third tree. Are there any other apples nearby?

calamityjayneuk

• Half Acre
  • Stanley, Co Durham
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 10:11:26 »
I think there are some across the way - about 100 yards away, not sure though coz there are new people, they just removed the hedge and it's the first year we've been able to see in.

the aldi idea sounds promising though.

Sounds like I have my work cut out for me this bank holiday  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 12:00:30 »
You'll probably be OK with just one, but you'll find out the first time it flowers! Plenty of time then to find space for a couple more if you need them. You could always go and ask your new neighbours.

calamityjayneuk

• Half Acre
  • Stanley, Co Durham
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 13:43:39 »
I would go and chat to them, but they've disappeared! They didn't plant the trees, the garden was given to them after a long period disused, so no one really knows what's there.

I keep trying to make friends with new people on the site - but you see them a few times then they stop coming - it is me, scaring them away  ;)

I will just have to keep an eye out - I'm on a mission now

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 18:07:44 »
There's bound to be someone around who knows about apple trees on the site! In general, if people have planted top fruit, a large proportion is going to be apples.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 19:46:48 »
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_september_2b2_apple.asp

this is a good site for companion planting apple trees (Bramly is a triploid this was stated earlier as long as you have a good number of options for the other trees and the bees travel between yours and other apple trees flowering at the same time you will be fine i have my bramley on its own there are other apple trees on the allotment site dont know what they are but they seem to make mine set so not worried but try for a year if not buy another type dont waste money for somthing that might work anyhow

calamityjayneuk

• Half Acre
  • Stanley, Co Durham
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 21:12:35 »
thanks daileg I think that sounds like a good plan

adeymoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 09:20:14 »
I worried about buying 3 apples, 3 pears, 3 gages to pollinate each other when considering my purchases. Someone on the allotment pointed out that an apple can be pollinated by any other fruit tree which is in flower at the same time. This was after I bought 14 trees for my allotment: no I do not have a double allotment, I am training the gages as fans and the apples / pears as spindlebushes. Spindlebushes need winter and summer pruning, are kept to 2 metres height and width. The retained 4 main branches are held down to a horizontal position by twine and a tree trained like this can have a yield equal to a large apple bush.

RHS book - Growing Fruit is very useful and likely to be in a main library, or their book in the series on prunin

calamityjayneuk

• Half Acre
  • Stanley, Co Durham
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 19:33:12 »
great advice thanks adeymoo

I have planted Rosy (she has been named) at the lottie, but not sure whether it's too late to prune her now. Does anyone know?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal