Author Topic: Silicone routine?  (Read 2219 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Silicone routine?
« on: April 30, 2009, 16:23:11 »
I'd welcome some experienced opinions :) We put up our secondhand greenhouse and there was already cracks in the glass in the door (probably it being a moving part didnt help.
So when we wanted them replaced we took whole door in to get a "quote" for toughened glass. We were told they would ring first before fitting, so we could get an idea of cost of that glass versus polycarbonate etc.
Usual cutter not in when we phoned and guy said bring in door as he was too young to say if they had size we wanted as he only knew metric and he thought 2 by 2 and a half wasn't standard. Hmmm.

Anyhow, Guy asked if we would want it fitted when we dropped off door, we said dependant on cost as we had fitted the restof panels with clips but would see what usual cutter said about this with toughened glass.
Told would be deadline Friday, got a message saying ready (not received quote yeyt) Hubby went in nand toughened glass fitted and SILICONED in place. Charged 10 quid for siliconing in two sheets ( I used to make reptile tanks so not being picky when I say silicone job not asfab as it could be...anyhow..
Happy with cost of glass...so ok, no prior quote but livable with.
Not so happy paying 10 quid but is it the case doors/toughened glass always siliconed in. I will phone and speak to usual guy in morning (cutter expert who is super)
Hubby said not had quote and seems steep, so wondered what you all thought.
Jackie

Hector

• Hectare
Re: Silicone routine?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 16:52:11 »
I'd welcome some experienced opinions :) We put up our secondhand greenhouse and there was already cracks in the glass in the door (probably it being a moving part didnt help.)
So when we wanted them replaced we took whole door in to get a "quote" for toughened glass. We were told they would ring first before fitting, so we could get an idea of cost of that glass versus polycarbonate etc.
Usual cutter not in when we phoned and guy said bring in door as he was too young to say if they had size we wanted as he only knew metric and he thought 2 by 2 and a half wasn't standard. Hmmm.

Anyhow, Guy asked if we would want it fitted when we dropped off door, we said dependant on cost as we had fitted the restof panels with clips but would see what usual cutter said about this with toughened glass.
Told would be deadline Friday, got a message saying ready (surprised as not received quote at that stage) Hubby went in nnd toughened glass fitted ie/ SILICONED in place. Charged 10 quid for siliconing in two sheets ( I used to make reptile tanks so not being picky when I say silicone job not as fab as it could be...anyhow..
Happy with cost of glass...so ok, no prior quote but livable with.
Not so happy paying 10 quid for fitting but is it the case doors/toughened glass are always siliconed in....maybe I just don't know what is "given" practice???? I will phone and speak to usual guy in morning (cutter expert who is super) but wanted to know if siliconing in on doors and/or with toughened glass was usual.
Hubby said when he went not had quote and seems steep, but a bit academic as it's siliconed in position!
Jackie

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 17:40:02 »
my house uses toughened glass and none of that is siliconed in just the glazing clips if the glass does get broke it forms loads of small bits which in my opinion would be a nightmare to get out from the silicone
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 21:04:14 »
are you sure it is toughened glass ,because you cant cut toughened glass !!!it has to be bought from manufacturer at the corrrect size.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 21:05:53 »
The chap said they cut then treat it by heating and cooling to toughen it??
Jackie

grotbag

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 21:13:05 »
ok they must do the toughening themselves (most  glazing comps buy it in )

grotbag

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 21:16:44 »
me again ,if it is toughened glass it will have kitemark in one corner ??

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 21:29:51 »
will have a look in the morning :)
Jackie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal