Author Topic: Ring culture and black buckets  (Read 2403 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Ring culture and black buckets
« on: May 03, 2009, 16:19:53 »
I am thinking of trying the ring culture method for the first time this year for my toms but don't want to spend too much! I haven't got soil borders in my greenhouse but I've got plenty of Morrisons black flower buckets, which I've used to grow toms before.  Can I use those as the outside container and smaller pots inside? That way I won't need any more compost than just growing them in the buckets. Or would it be better to put gravel in the buckets (possibly cheaper as easier to re-use)? Quick response appreciated as my toms are ready for potting up!

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
Re: Ring culture and black buckets
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 17:01:24 »
Gravel works well for me.  Here's a link to a thread about this last year:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,44628.0.html
Keep Calm and Carry On

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 17:03:56 »
Thanks, hopalong,I was reading that thread earlier. What size pots do you use?

hopalong

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 17:15:15 »
Thanks, hopalong,I was reading that thread earlier. What size pots do you use?

Caroline

Last year I planted them into 7" (18cm) pots - three in the rectangular tub I used, with gravel around them.  This year I'm planning to make a container out of wood, lined with some black plastic, and make a shallower gravel bed, but I'll use the same size pots.  I have a very good and very old newspaper article by Graham Rose about this which I will scan and PM to you if I can (can't promise though - the builders are in and it's total chaos).
Keep Calm and Carry On

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 10:00:12 »
I'm still confused about a couple of things with this method. First, if the pots are bottomless, what's to stop the compost falling through into the gravel. And secondly, "water in the bottom,feed inthe top", but surely tomato feed goes in with the water?

hopalong

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 11:32:01 »
I'm still confused about a couple of things with this method. First, if the pots are bottomless, what's to stop the compost falling through into the gravel. And secondly, "water in the bottom,feed inthe top", but surely tomato feed goes in with the water?

The pots are embedded in the gravel and then filled with compost and planted up. A bit of compost may fall through into the gravel, but not much - certainly not when the roots of the tomato plants are fully formed. I ensure the gravel is constantly moist by watering it, so that the roots reach down and take up moisture from it. And I give a weekly Tomorite feed through the top of the pot.  It works!
Keep Calm and Carry On

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 12:28:33 »
Thanks again, hopalong. I've decided to try a variety of growing methods and see which works best- will let you know!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal