Author Topic: Planting seedlings through weed suppressant membrane?  (Read 986 times)

genlistlass

• Half Acre
Seems an obvious question but there must be a "best way" to do it? Do I cut crosses and peel back the membrane? Straight rows?

Not many weeds underneath but it keeps the cats from using it as a toilet!

Gen in Northumberland
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

Buster54

• Acre
Re: Planting seedlings through weed suppressant membrane?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 16:47:49 »
That is what I was told to do,I use a gas soldering iron to cut mine as it stops it from fraying,but if you are gonna plant onions I would cut a hole the size the intended size of the grown onion,if this is your first time using the fabric you will have to peg it down with something till the plants get to a reasonable size as when the wind gets under it it can strip your young plants as it waffs up and down,what I try and do is when I have cut the cross I use a bulb planter to catch the edges and push the edges down then drop my plant in and overfill a little so the flaps are buried
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 17:06:28 »
I have always read that a membrane is only effective if covered with bark, gravel etc.

Certainly the only time we used it, to protect Dwarf Beans, the weeds were taller than the Beans. They just loved it under the cover!

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 18:11:40 »
Buster what a good idea, a bulb planter to make nice neat holes. I have one of those doing nothing at the moment too. Will use the knife first though. Thanks

Gen in NBL where the sun is cracking the rocks!

No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 19:36:07 »
I have always read that a membrane is only effective if covered with bark, gravel etc.

Certainly the only time we used it, to protect Dwarf Beans, the weeds were taller than the Beans. They just loved it under the cover!
Depends what grade you get all I had under mine last year was a few strangely Creeping Thistle
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 18:12:22 »
Last year I cut crosses, this year I am cutting holes approx 4 inch diameter. The reason for the change is that the weeds make for the light and if it is small area it makes teasing them away from the plant difficult. By allowing a little more space I am hoping to be able to prize the weeds away from the plant and remove them withought disturbing the plants. Will let you know if the theory works :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal