Author Topic: Is this size plot too small?  (Read 4459 times)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: Is this size plot too small?
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 12:29:22 »
Reading my council lease it states that the allotments are 250 sq metres, mine comes outat 220 sq metres, but I don't moan, ;)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 12:48:32 »
You have to pay for some of the path as well.

purnima

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 13:00:54 »
And deleted ....
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 13:32:14 by Admin aka Dan »

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 13:08:12 »
 ::) WTF???
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 13:27:17 »
????

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 13:34:21 »
thanks dan!
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

NettleNik

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 13:55:59 »
As a newbie and just starting out - we measured our allotment plot last nyt and it's 26ft x25ft (a 3 pole). We had a nosey at the other plots and I'm glad that we've got a smaller plot - we definately wouldnt manage a big plot - it would be too daunting. We have our plan of 10 4ftx4ft beds and 5 4ftx8ft beds and thats enough for us to start with. We've been on the waiting list a while so we were glad to take whatever was available, and there are huge waiting lists in our area for allotments. So I do think smaller plots for beginners are a good idea. :)

fireflydigger

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 14:07:47 »
Ours is small, too, only about 30ft x 20ft - suits us perfectly right now. With waiting lists the way they are (2-3 years for our site), there doesn't seem much point judging plots by how well they feed a family of four or whatever - clearly there aren't enough plots for every family of four that wants one to have one, so we'll all have to put up with a bit less!

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 18:12:49 »
Just to be confusing - I've got a half plot but it's still the full 10 rods (roughly - it's an odd shape). Full plots on my site are huge - there's no way I could manage a whole one. Yet they are very much in demand - as far as I know mine is the only one they've split, due to lack of demand for smaller ones... ???

My half is just about right for me at the moment - roughly a third of it has got fruit trees/bushes on so I don't have to dig the whole thing. Initially I was a bit daunted and thought I'd never fill it all up, but now I'm squeezing things in all over the place - I definitely wouldn't want it to be any smaller.  :D but a teeny plot is still better than no plot I'd say

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 18:49:04 »
I think there was a time when 20 poles was considered a full plot, and there were people who worked two of them - but 40 poles is the maximum allowed under the Allotments Act.

I'd agree with LBB that 10 poles is a 'full' plot, though it's only a convention.  So for taurus, that's like LBB first said, 31ft wide on the 88ft wide section and 45ft wide on the 60ft section.

Funny how times have changed.  When I took on my bramble and couch plot 15 years ago it was 20 poles and the council charged it as 5 because they just couldn't find tenants for love nor money and were happy for me to take it.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2009, 19:00:07 »
You have to pay for some of the path as well.
That's an interesting point.  On my site plots were measured very roughly and generously, and rents were cheap - £1/pole.  Now rents are almost £5/pole and the council have been re-measuring enthusiastically.  Before, it didn't matter whether the path was strictly part of your plot or not, but now my path would cost me almost £6 so I'd argue strongly that the side path isn't part of the plot.  Fortunately my council agrees.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2009, 16:01:28 »
The main thing is to have something you can handle. On my site, a standard plot is 600 square yards, with hedges. The only people who manage to cultivate the whole lot are a few retired people who almost live on the site. We're slowly splitting more plots, and the standard of cultivation on the half plots does seem to be better.

the-goodlife

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2009, 11:36:41 »
my plot in mtrs!

10mtrs wide  x 50mtrs long
today i will be growin veg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal