Author Topic: Frost  (Read 2021 times)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Frost
« on: April 28, 2009, 21:09:04 »
Down here in sunny SW London, a few potatoes got frosted last night.  Checked the Max/Min thermometer in the cold frame, 3 degrees!

Another cold one tonight too.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Frost
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 21:53:17 »
Mine got scorched, but I'm hoping they'll survive.  Three rows of Swift about 9" high, and twice that many Rocket about 6" high.  I don't have anything to cover them with so they're on their own again tonight.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 22:00:21 »
just covered mine which are in containers but think the most we might get is a light air frost so only covered just in case.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 23:10:16 »
Co.vered them with fleece tonight, just in case

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 10:08:27 »
SW London (but a bit closer in and more urban than Richmond Park). It felt cold, but there was no frost round us last night.

Thanks for the warning about tonight.  Hardening off is one thing but frosting's another  :) Will fleece up my potted spuds and close the GH windows.

Rosemary

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 15:35:58 »
some leaves of my potatoes got scorched Monday night. is there anything I can do? a bit disheartening as they are the only things I have planted in my new overgrown allotment.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 19:24:53 »
so did ours, rosemary, they should pick up ok  :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 11:28:09 »
SW London (but a bit closer in and more urban than Richmond Park). It felt cold, but there was no frost round us last night.

Spoke too soon - got to the allotment at around 8:00 last night and discovered the potatoes had got slightly scorched. so fleeced them.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 11:33:36 »
Yesterday morning lots of potatoes on our site frosted and beans, sweetcorn, tomatoes and squashes (what are people doing planting them out so early!).  The temp in the closed coldframe had been 4 degrees.

Mine are OK so far.  It seems quite random which catch the frost and which don't, sometimes just one plant in a row, sometimes one end etc.  My plot neighbour a few feet away has some scorching and I don't.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal