Author Topic: Minipop sweetcorn.  (Read 4781 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Minipop sweetcorn.
« on: April 30, 2009, 08:23:54 »
We want to grow some of these but with having a 1/2 plot can we plant them among other things to save space. Do they grow as tall as the large cobbed corn. I think I read that they need to be planted close together, 6'' so would that mean we couldn't plant amongst other things. How many cobs are we likely to get of each plant?
Janet

Teej

• Quarter Acre
Re: Minipop sweetcorn.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 08:45:17 »
I grew some a couple of years ago & the flavour was nothing like the shop bought mini corn - absolutely superb.  Unfortunately I won't be growing them again for a few years as I only have part of my garden as a veg plot & I just can't justify the space for them.  I try at least 1 different type of veg each year so until I've tried everything else that I want it won't be mini corn's turn again.  :(
The grow as tall as normal corn & I got about 5 or 6 off each plant.  The difficult part was trying to make sure that they were actually ready & I picked them at the right time.  Had a couple of unripe ones but you live & learn!
I would def recommend to you if you have the room.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 09:02:47 »
I've grown them for a couple of years the way you say, in a block at 6" spacing.  Mine didn't get quite as tall as normal sweetcorn, maybe 5-6 feet.  I got more cobs than Teej to a plant.  It seemed to me that the more I cut, the more new cobs were produced.  Why not try a block of 4 which won't take up a huge amount of space?

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 10:07:18 »
If my memory serves me correctly, this variety is self fertilising and do not need to be grown in blocks.

The packet should give you this information.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 10:35:25 »
It's nothing to do with self-fertilising.  Minipop is harvested as soon as the tassels appear i.e. before pollination.

I plant it in blocks because at 6" spacing, it's efficient use of space and the plants support each other.  I only need to tie a string around the outside of the block and that's it.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 20:00:05 »
 :) I grow minipop as a wind break as you don't need to grow it in blocks, but you do have to live on your plot to pick them at the right time or they taste bloody awful! / shades x
grow your own way

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 20:08:32 »
Thanks everyone. Something else sorted.
Janet

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal