Author Topic: Globe Artichokes  (Read 3104 times)

Alexihen

• Not So New ...
  • At home in Brittany
Globe Artichokes
« on: April 28, 2009, 21:02:37 »
Has anyone any experience of growing globe artichokes in a polytunnel or greenhouse?  I planted two outside a few weeks ago and they have been eaten, probably rabbits.  I am planning to put two new plants in the polytunnel, but just wondered if anyone else has grown these.

Thanks.

Alexihen
Loving Life

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Globe Artichokes
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 22:58:08 »
I would have thought it is a waste of good tunnel space. Can't you put a net over them or set a few snares?

Alexihen

• Not So New ...
  • At home in Brittany
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:44:30 »
No - I wouldn't use snares and have loads of polytunnel space - have two and the second one is empty except for broad beans and tomatoes.   I've grown everything inside since I've had the first polytunnel, carrots, beetroot, salad stuff, onions, shallots, tomatoes, strawberries, herbs, courgettes, so will just do the same with these then.

Alexihen
Loving Life

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 17:13:57 »
I wouldn't put them in a PT or a GH. The ones I grew from seed last year reached 8 foot tall and 10 foot in diameter.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Alexihen

• Not So New ...
  • At home in Brittany
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 08:44:30 »
Aren't you thinking of Jerusalem Artichokes?  Globe Artichokes only grow to about 3 ft high max.
Alexihen
Loving Life

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 09:17:38 »
Hi Alexihen

Last year there were Globe Artichokes on our site that must have been 8' tall and looking at seed websites they say 4-6'.  This might help...

http://www.rhs.org.uk/growyourown/globeartichoke.asp

I grew some last year and lost them so am planning to grow them at home in my flower border this year and use them for screening.!

T.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 09:52:14 »
Aren't you thinking of Jerusalem Artichokes?  Globe Artichokes only grow to about 3 ft high max.

i've never seen a 3ft globe artichoke, the plants i have seen were always taller than me and i'm just over 5'6" and they are also known for having quite a spread as well.

do you by chance have a new dwarf variety?

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 12:17:40 »

No they don't, they grow a great deal bigger than that. Mine were 8 foot at least. I dug them all up as they were taking far too much space.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 17:08:10 »
Hi Alexihen,
       Do you know where i can get some globe artichoke seeds from we used to go to brittany from plymouth quite often, but always forgot to look for the seeds i would like to grow some for the flowers. Due to age and infirmity i cant see us going again soon.

Thanks

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 17:29:08 »
Easy to find seed over here- i think mine were from T&M.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 19:11:32 »
Look for someone with lovely large healthy plants and blag some offsets from them  :) :) :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 08:21:36 »
Gordon, I can send you some seeds if you want. They are "sow by Aug 2008", the packet has been open since 2006 and it's probably too late now for this year, but I've successfully sown them this year. PM me if you want some.

Alexihen

• Not So New ...
  • At home in Brittany
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 10:39:30 »
Sorry, Gordonsveg, only just logged on after a few weeks away.  I planted out plants from the local garden shop and didn't do seed.  My plants are doing well in the polytunnel as is everything this year. 
Alexihen
Loving Life

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 11:05:07 »
Mine are 3 ft high and I only sowed them earlier this year.  Knew they got quite tall but was not expecting 10' diameter.  they are about a meter apart. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal