Author Topic: I HATE snails and slugs !  (Read 6958 times)

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: I HATE snails and slugs !
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 10:18:50 »
Well Ollie - Yes that is a beautiful picture and there is a certain beauty about the snails in their passion! (Glad they aren't "at it" in my garden though!

I think if I had these in my garden I would cage them and then, when I had enough,  sell them to the French - who are into conservation of this species!

O B

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 10:24:50 »
and I still think they're beautiful!

THEY ARE UGLY

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 12:47:01 »

Now don't tell me they are not beautiful...

They are, especially with garlic butter.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 14:39:58 »
AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH i had my own back on them last night for the past week or so they have been eating my lobillia and geraniums well yesterday i put loads of blue slug pellats down i came down this morning opened the front door and there was a complete deluge of dying slimey snails i collected all and placed in a plstic bag i counted 23 tied it up and went in the bin

well i had a smile on my face like you cant believe almost sodistic lol
thats what you get for your neighbour not looking after his garden the grass hasnt been cut for a while

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 14:58:22 »
Hey Ollie!

You will suddenly find yourself in a Conservation Area - your garden will be listed as of scientific interest and you will have to get rid of your chooks in case they hurt those snails (mind you they may be too big for one - maybe two sharing!)

I have re-looked at the picture and they are faintly ghostly in appearance but I am getting to agree that they are beautiful (if you forget the gardening with them angle!)  You seem to have a good camera for close ups - maybe that is your next career that you can start from home and get Annabell to help you!

O B

;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 15:09:33 »
They're about 10 miles away from my house and... I admit it, I wouldn't want them anywhere near me. Only stumbled across the colony last week, and went out again in the rain on Monday - there were literally hundreds of them, and that was without lifting any leaves.

I think they keep it a secret otherwise all the French restaurants would be out there but I'll give Surrey Wildlife Trust a call, in case it's a new colony...

I'd love to take good macro photo's OB... that was the best of about 10!

Here's one on his way to a Cowslip (which they appear to ignore!)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 15:23:25 by OllieC »

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 17:20:33 »
I must admit I looked at the picture and my first thought was how much better they would look with a little garlic and a few herbs!  Lance
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 19:21:51 »
I'd have my size ten's all over them, I really can't see the snail police knocking at my door.  :o     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 19:38:36 »
I've called them up Kev, their rapid response unit will be with you in 12 years...

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 10:52:11 »
Just to clarify - you're looking at up to 6 months in prison for playing golf with the ones in the photo above... and I still think they're beautiful!
Is that a joke?? Are they really protected like the destructive groundhog here? 
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2009, 11:02:58 »
Just to clarify - you're looking at up to 6 months in prison for playing golf with the ones in the photo above... and I still think they're beautiful!
Is that a joke?? Are they really protected like the destructive groundhog here? 

Just these ones (Roman Snails, also called Edible snails) - and the chances of you finding them in your garden are very remote - I had never seen them in the wild until last weekend. I doubt anyone on this forum has even had a nibble from one. Oh, and they're pretty fussy eaters too!

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 13:17:52 »
We occasionally toss the odd snail onto the road in the hope that a car will..... perhaps tonight is time to restart the evening patrols...
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 17:10:33 »
12 years Ollie  :o they must be quicker responding round your way.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Manouche

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2009, 20:21:27 »

We have a frog in our garden that sorts them out!

I couldn't tread on one though Yuk.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal