Author Topic: Summer PSB  (Read 1097 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Summer PSB
« on: April 27, 2009, 21:05:41 »
I took some compost back to a GC today & thought I would look for some summer PSB. They had some PSB & on the label it said crops in spring but the assistant said it was summer PSB as it had been sown early it would crop in the summer. I thought it was a special seed that doesn't need winter cold to crop. Who has the answer to this one please.
Janet

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Summer PSB
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 02:24:39 »
It does seem that if you sow the seed early (January) and plant out straight away, it does sprout in July/August and will carry on producing.

It is not as bountiful as it is if the plant waits until March or April. Probably due to immaturity.

We got a load last year but did not need it because we had other stuff to eat. The joy of PSB is that it is here when nothing else is available.

The Summer PSB certainly did not seem to be as good as the plants that gave the harvest which has just come to an end.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 14:30:36 »
Why not grow Calabrese it is similar i.e. you get firstly a green cauliflower head, then once this is cut off it induces side growths not unlike PSB.

My two year old grandaughter just can't get enough of it!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Calabrese/Calabrese.htm 

Click on the picture to enlarge it!

Becca

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 00:28:16 »
Hi ,
so am bit confused by sprouting broccoli.  I got seed packet in lidl and they germinated well,  though there numbers have been severly diminished by slugs.  I was going to plant the ones that are left out tomorrow but now i'm confused, do i wait till the end of may. 
Also confused as to how much space i need.
Also i dont know if it is white sprouting or purple sprouting variety....
so can anyone educate me on the subject?  ???

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 01:18:56 »
If you harden them off they can be planted out ant time from now onwards. The finished spacing for purple sprouting broccoli is at least 2' each way but they can be planted in a row out of the way with 9" spacing then transplanted again about August in their final positions. This way they do not use up so much space while things are busy.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 07:57:51 »
All my summer PSB has died of death a few days after transplanting their seedlings.  All other transplants have done well.  Just them. ???  Just as well I have plenty of calabrese to keep me going though. ::) 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal