Author Topic: Am I going overboard?  (Read 3727 times)

Lottie103

• Quarter Acre
Re: Am I going overboard?
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 00:36:01 »
Oops Shadowdragon - that wasn't a dig at Uni folks btw  :-[ When the secretary showed us around our site the day we picked our plot, he described one of the other plotholders as `Uni types with strange ideas' & said they'd had a few (given we fall into that category... we kept quiet). They are lecturers (I believe, not met them) & the biggest problem seemed to be that they had chosen to have grass paths rather proper concrete or slabs & cultivate things other than your standard veggies.

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 07:44:40 »
I can see why you would dig out those roots, and there is really no alternative. But I would say just one very thorough initial digging is enough. After that, don't dig any more.

For one thing, turning the soil brings to the surface old weed seeds, and they happily germinate. Secondly, good natural soil is composed of layers that build up on the surface.......leaves and old vegetation. Worms get into it, and you have a very fine soil structure that drains well.

Nature doesn't dig manure and compost in, and neither do I. It is enough to just spread compost on the surface, and in some cases work it in a bit with a fork, but I don't dig deep with a spade. The soil is beautiful, and I have few weed problems. Maybe that is because I pull them up as soon as I see them, and I don't let them run to seed.

shadowdragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 08:27:57 »
Oops Shadowdragon - that wasn't a dig at Uni folks btw  :-[ When the secretary showed us around our site the day we picked our plot, he described one of the other plotholders as `Uni types with strange ideas' & said they'd had a few (given we fall into that category... we kept quiet). They are lecturers (I believe, not met them) & the biggest problem seemed to be that they had chosen to have grass paths rather proper concrete or slabs & cultivate things other than your standard veggies.

Hehe, I know exactly what u meant  ;D

I used to be a lecturer LOL, just going back to retrain due to long term illness  :(

The thing is ive not taken the plot on to save the environment, or lower my carbon footprint, ive done it as a place to go to get some exercise fresh air while doing something constructive. But I like to be different thats for sure  ;D

Like I said to the old boy, if the triangles dont work, its only going to take an hour to pull up all the kickboards and restructure the bays. So ive lost nothing really. Plus when its done its will look really funky  ;D ;D
People kept saying I had lost the plot, but found it again when I got my Allotment.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 08:37:00 »
It sounds like there lots of successful digging going on well done all! Hard work but satisfying in the end. I'm still gradually working my way along my plot digging / weeding / digging / weeding. Its coming along. One thing I've found out here is that others have commented on what I'm doing as "doing it the proper way" whatever that is  ::)  But what matters is that I'm really enjoying the exercise, the progress, the learning, and hopefully soon eating more of my own veg.
And looking forward to next year (my 3rd) of not having to do as much clearing and breaking of new ground  :D

And Busy Bee I know what you mean about needing the rain  ;D

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 09:56:48 »
Well, I like the sound of the triangular beds.  think it's good to try out new ideas. There's no reason why you can't make an allotment look good, and how you want it. If you find problems, you can change it next year. When I got my allotment it was just one big patch with no definition. I wanted it sectioned off so that I would not be overfaced. If you clear one of the little beds of weeds and cultivate it, it is an achievement. If it is just a corner of a big plot, you don't ever feel as though you have finished a job.I try to use all old things up and everything I would normally have slung out, now has possibilities. The more established allotmenteers give me advice when I ask but I also know that they skit at me behind my back about my ideas. I'm not bothered.  They say they don't like things I have done but then try to replicate it the next year, makes me laugh really.  There are a couple of jobs worthy people on site thatare very unfriendly and take on superior roles with water, mainly!  Never been elected  in the non existant commitee, just take charge. I take the rough with the smooth. If I don't want a chat, on goes the i pod!!!!!! :)

shadowdragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 10:45:30 »
Well, I like the sound of the triangular beds.  think it's good to try out new ideas. There's no reason why you can't make an allotment look good, and how you want it. If you find problems, you can change it next year. When I got my allotment it was just one big patch with no definition. I wanted it sectioned off so that I would not be overfaced. If you clear one of the little beds of weeds and cultivate it, it is an achievement. If it is just a corner of a big plot, you don't ever feel as though you have finished a job.I try to use all old things up and everything I would normally have slung out, now has possibilities. The more established allotmenteers give me advice when I ask but I also know that they skit at me behind my back about my ideas. I'm not bothered.  They say they don't like things I have done but then try to replicate it the next year, makes me laugh really.  There are a couple of jobs worthy people on site thatare very unfriendly and take on superior roles with water, mainly!  Never been elected  in the non existant commitee, just take charge. I take the rough with the smooth. If I don't want a chat, on goes the i pod!!!!!! :)

Excatly my thoughs. Your not on the same plot as me are you, we have an unoffcial commitee too!!!!

I had the same idea, small beds are easier to tackle, its not overwhemlming by having to look at a bit expanse of soil that needs digging over. If I only have an hour in the future to be at the plot, i can easily fork over one of the triangle.
People kept saying I had lost the plot, but found it again when I got my Allotment.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 13:13:42 »
If you've got self-appointed so-and-so's to deal with, then it might be worth starting a committee, as long as you can make sure they don't get on it!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 13:23:33 »
Quote from: shadowdragon link=topic=51163.msg519502#msg519502 If I only have an hour in the future to be at the plot, i can easily fork over one of the triangle.
[/quote

How do you dig out the corners or are they quite blunt?

Busy Bee

• Quarter Acre
  • Bexhill On Sea East Sussex
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 13:33:41 »
  But what matters is that I'm really enjoying the exercise, the progress, the learning, and hopefully soon eating more of my own veg.

And Busy Bee I know what you mean about needing the rain  ;D

I know how you feel 1066. I'm loving it!! Leaving the digging for today as so much rain yesterday it will be too heavy. No pleasing me lol. Going all out for the rest of the wek to see how much i can get done. :)

shadowdragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 13:40:52 »
Quote from: shadowdragon link=topic=51163.msg519502#msg519502 If I only have an hour in the future to be at the plot, i can easily fork over one of the triangle.
[/quote

How do you dig out the corners or are they quite blunt?

To be honest thats the biggest problem, although they were easy to dig out when i was creating them as I just backfilled the kickboards but due to not beeing walked on, a hand fork should dig them out quite easily (i hope  :o ). That may well be the flaw in the design that means I rip them out, who knows hehe.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 20:38:06 »
Sadly, if we were to start a real commitee,I think the silly old s*ds would be right there at the helm. I can't be bothered with all that. I jusat want to chill, garden and get some of my own veg!! LOL!

shadowdragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 22:47:54 »
Heres what im doing, the triangles are going to be opposites in each bay so they create a diamond pattern, you can see in the background the state it is/was. Also got a piccy of the weeds im pulling out, so a confirmation of what they are would be good  :)

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2009, 23:01:36 »
We got out plot a couple years ago. It was a mess and in the beginning we dug through about a third of the allotment. The second year we finished about half. This year we'll try and do all but the back bit and do that we dig the potatoes up. (Heavy clay and loads of couch plus other deep nasty weeds)

And yes, everyone on out allotment site thinks we're nuts for putting in all that work. But the beds we dug last year are so nice! Only a little couch came in from the neighbors or paths that we haven't dug. Nothing like the tangled mess it was.

I agree, its worth the work!
urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 14:39:33 »
The plot's looking good ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 14:52:11 »
....... got a piccy of the weeds im pulling out, so a confirmation of what they are would be good  :)

I would say the white roots are mostly couch grass. The brown roots might be couch grass after weedkiller, but possibly a bit too big for that and don't seem to have the little spiky bits coming off them.  Would have said mint but that would probably be in leaf by now so not much help I'm afraid.

Still, looking good where it counts  :)

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 18:30:11 »
Looks like some of it could be Bindweed, to me. I have both Couch grass and Bindweed. a devil to tackle. All roots must be properly disposed of and not on a compost heap.  :(

shadowdragon

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 18:49:50 »
HI,

Thanks  ;D Glad im doing stuff right, im not putting the weeds and there roots on the compost, ive got three large piles which i was hoping to burn once they had dried off (unfortunatley had two full days of rain!!!).

I went down this morning and all that rain has made the ground a dream to work with, it just falls apart now  :D

Hope to get down there tommorow and get really stuck in, seeing as ive been a bit over zealous at home with seedlings ect  :o im going to have too many plants ready to put out, and not enough ground cleared!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal