Author Topic: Overcrowded tomatoes  (Read 2103 times)

robinaber

• Quarter Acre
  • Aberporth, near Cardigan, West Wales
Overcrowded tomatoes
« on: June 11, 2009, 15:35:53 »
This is my first year of growing in a greenhouse therefore a bit clueless and any advice would be appreciated.

Earlier this year I mixed my tomato varieties up. Now, having put on a lot of growth, some of the bush varieties are spreading quite a lot already.

I am due to go into hospital for surgery in a few weeks time and therefore will not be able to visit the greenhouse both during my stay and after as it is part of a plot away from my house.  Non-gardeners will be looking after everything for me during that time so will it be OK to cut back now so that the plants don't get too large?
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. Author unknown

daileg

• Hectare
Re: Overcrowded tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 19:09:48 »
if you cut the top off your plants they will stop growing up and produce side shoots .
if there in your greenhouse on your plot question from me are they in a border in the greenhouse or are they in pots if in potswhy not move outside for a while wont do them any harm as long as we don't get a prolonged period of rain and the dreaded blight takes hold if this did happen the chances they would get anyhow because once on a allotment site it spreads rather quickly and can take hold anyhow

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 19:29:37 »
I do appreciate that you cannot help having to go into hospital and also have to convalesce after. I myself would not be expecting to get much of a crop this year. If non gardeners are watering and feeding for you then you should get something off the plants but in all honesty I don't think that you can expect to harvest a magnificent crop. They will probably not be able to take the side shoots off for you and tie in. If I were you I would concentrate on getting your self back to good health and accept what this year brings.Next year you will be well enough to look after them yourself. . I wouldn't cut them down as this will cause them to branch out all over the place.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 21:29:03 »
I would be taking the non gardeners to the tomatoes and show tham what you want them to do. There is nothing complicated about growing tomatoes. Show them what is and how to nip out a side shoot, where to nip the growing tip out when it has reached its hight or desired number of trusses. Where to water, how to water and when to water. Also how to remove the leaf stems below the first truss.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal