Author Topic: asparagus  (Read 15302 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: asparagus
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2009, 12:19:44 »
Welcome to A4A Wolverton...  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2009, 14:52:39 »
I spotted one somewhat slug nibbled, but very fat, spear emerging the other day. Doubtless the rest will follow.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2009, 18:12:41 »
bump

At only three years old I'd stop there TBH...... that said I love asparagus so I'm going to go for about 40 plants in the bed that I iwll be preparing this autumn for the seedlings that I've got in big modules ATM. Mostly that's so I get a big crop early on :D

chrisc

so thats 1000 spears a year then. Can you really stand your urine smelling weird over such a sustained period?

Umm.... yes?... plus lots of asparagus soup to freeze :-)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2016, 11:20:07 »
Sorry - forgot spacing.

Here's some professional advice...

'Planting asparagus crowns will reward you with up to 20 years of productive life.

Barn owl, have you been pleased with this variety?

Growing asparagus successfully you will need to have (or create) an area of free draining soil and plenty of space - it will lock up the bed for 10-20 years... but oh boy it will be well worth it!

When planting asparagus choose a shelterd sunny spot... strong winds can play havoc with the tall foliage which grows after the cropping period has ended.

Good drainage is essential - dig the bed thoroughly in the previous autumn/fall and dig in liberal amounts of well-rotted manure or compost. This will give the asparagus ferns access to all the nutrients they require as well as retaining moisture within the soil. Add lime if the soil is very acid. If you have tested your soil these vegetables prefer a pH of 5.5-6.5.

Dig a trench 20-25cm(8"-10") deep and 30cm(12") wide. The distance between trenches is open for debate but a good rule-of-thumb is if you have plenty of area then space the trenches 90cm(36") apart - if not then 45cm(18") will be fine. The soil you have dug out for the trench should be left along its edge as you will cover the crowns over a period of time - layer upon layer.

Space the crowns about 40cm(16") apart in the trenches on 5cm(2") high mounds of rotted compost or manure. These mounds are created only below each asparagus crown and the roots fanned out across them.'

So if you go for two lengthwise trenches, if my maths is right that would make about 18 crowns.

Don't want to knock B&Q but asparagus is a long term investment. You want to get the best quality you can, so make sure the crowns are in good condition.

For such a long term project the problem is there are quite a variety of Asparagus from Connovers Colossal (an old variety which has an AGM from the RHS) through more modern green varieties like Gijnlim  and Pacific 2000 (both with good reviews) and purple varieties like Purple Pacific or Crimson Pacific to 'wild' varieties that are particularly slim. Also new hydrids are coming on to market all the time and they all get goo write-ups :)

I planted some Crimson Pacific a new variety from NZ (bought from Blackmoor Nursery) two weeks ago. It was just beginning to bud and spears are already up from 5 out of the 6. We already have conventional green asparagus and also I hope some of the wild Italian planted last year but that isn't showing up yet.

These chaps in Kent have had good reports in an earlier thread and stock Gijnlim but there may be quite a price differential to B&Q and they may not be selling anyway as it's a bit late (though a phone call might resolve that if you're determined).

http://www.asparagus-in-kent.co.uk/

I'm not certain, but the moment I think T&M are the only supplier providing Autumn planting crowns and T&M have had mixed reviews. However now that they have started other suppliers may join in.
Jackie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal