Author Topic: Is anyone worried about swine flu?  (Read 14819 times)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: Is anyone worried about swine flu?
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 09:36:20 »
it's been genetically engineered by the CIA especially to get rid of Mexicans. The plan is that all the people got rid of by General Motors etc will be retrained as Gardeners and Home Helps

Vony

• Acre
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 19:05:14 »
Put into perspective, within a week the Press said tonight the swine flu has DOUBLED!!!  2 to 4
and we have a population of 68 million.

They didn't tell you of course about the 168 patients that died over the last year from ordinary flu virus,
I suppose this wasn't sensationalist enough for them.

Get yourself a life

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 20:59:52 »
I phoned NHS Direct for advice and all I got was crackling on the line  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 21:05:41 »
bad things happen from small beginnings. I bet the Black Death started when some monk woke up and thought he looked a bit spotty

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2009, 21:31:50 »
it's been genetically engineered by the CIA especially to get rid of Mexicans. The plan is that all the people got rid of by General Motors etc will be retrained as Gardeners and Home Helps
LOL !! :) :) :)
You couldn't make it up!

DenBee

• Acre
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2009, 22:36:27 »
Not worried as such, but a little more inclined to take it seriously(ish) compared to the avian flu threat.  I work for the NHS, and there are certainly plenty of bulletins being issued and "emergency meetings" going on in my region.  I also heard tell of a suspected case in our local area today.  But that's just scuttlebutt so far.  :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 22:46:06 by DenBee »
Tread softly, for you tread on my greens.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2009, 22:43:56 »
I live in Paignton but can't get about much at the moment, so I'm not worrying unduly. I'm just hoping the poor lass who has the virus recovers quickly and that the illness doesn't spread to her schoolmates.

Tricia

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2009, 10:30:24 »
Many of the Americas Natives were wiped out by flu when the Europeans invaded and brought the virus with them. So, possibly they have a genetic problem with it. Assuming the Mexican fatalities are from Native stock, it could explain their death toll. Whilst others seem to be recovering well.

The media has needed another subject to sensationalise about, perhaps them taking the credit crunch off the front page will give the world economies a breather to recover a little.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2009, 13:09:50 »
WHO WILL BE THE FIRST ARSEHOLE TO WEAR A FACEMASK?      

AS the number of confirmed pork flu cases in the UK soared into single figures, millions of people across Britain were last night wondering who would be the first arsehole to start wearing a facemask.

Online retailers have reported high demand for their utterly useless anti-pork flu kits, consisting of a flimsy surgical mask, some Kendal mintcake, a James Blunt CD, a novelty keyring and a cyanide pill.

Stephen Malley, a trainee accountant from Finsbury Park, said: "I think it's going to be this guy in my office called Geoff. He rides a bicycle to work and eats bananas at his desk. He's a prick."

Emma Bradford, a marketing assistant from Hatfield, said: "My friend Janet is pathetically melodramatic. She wore one during the foot and mouth outbreak in 2001 because she said it really accentuated her eyelashes."

And Roy Hobbs, a retired architect from Stevenage, said: "My wife's friends are all idiots, but I have a feeling it might turn out to be Harriet Harman, just because she's such an arsehole."

Experts warned that despite their uselessness, many arseholes will be tempted to walk around wearing facemasks and thinking they are in a film based on a Michael Crichton novel.

Dr Tom Booker, from Reading University, said: "Of course they're wearing them in Mexico. If I was in Mexico I'd be wearing one regardless. You can almost smell the f**k**g place from here."

He added: "If you've got the cash - and the back muscles - you could try walking around in a scuba suit, with a couple of oxygen tanks strapped to your shoulders.

"But really, the best way to stop pork flu is to get it, takes some pills and watch the telly until you don't have it anymore."
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

xlynettex

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2009, 13:36:51 »
a friend of mine came back from holiday on Tuesday from Mexico. went into work yesterday but then received an email last night asking her to not to come into work for the rest of the week because of this swine flu. she is feeling fine. she works for the Local Authorities.  :(

do you think they are over reacting

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2009, 13:56:50 »
I would rather there was a bit of over reaction now and in 6 months time for us all to be able to say 'ha ha look how we over reacted', than be complacent and dismissive and end up losing our friends and family when we could have taken precautions.

I really don't think that the WHO would be making this up and if they are telling us that there is cause for concern then what is really going on behind the scenes?

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2009, 16:21:03 »
a friend of mine came back from holiday on Tuesday from Mexico. went into work yesterday but then received an email last night asking her to not to come into work for the rest of the week because of this swine flu. she is feeling fine. she works for the Local Authorities.  :(

do you think they are over reacting

even if they are overreacting i would be like woo hoo! a long weekend for me! ;D

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2009, 16:27:07 »
Not worried as such, but a little more inclined to take it seriously(ish) compared to the avian flu threat.  I work for the NHS, and there are certainly plenty of bulletins being issued and "emergency meetings" going on in my region.  I also heard tell of a suspected case in our local area today.  But that's just scuttlebutt so far.  :)

I too work for the NHS and suspect that is them covering their butts :) I am cautious and not concerned as
1/ can't stop it getting here
2/ know there are emergency plans in place anyhow for all authorities
3/ antibiotics/care we have available is not necessarily availble to the poor souls in Mexico/USA ( they don't have a national health)
4/ look how well the infected Scots couple are doing...note the press don't emphasise that.
Jackie

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2009, 20:15:49 »
TWO SCOTTISH PEOPLE FEELING A BIT RUN DOWN      

THE government has raised its virus alert level to 'pantastic' after it was confirmed that two people in Scotland were hovering close to feeling slightly unwell.

The pair, from one of the dozens of non-descript hell-holes between Edinburgh and Glasgow, were admitted to hospital yesterday when their condition was described as 'critically fuzzy'.

Doctors said they were now 90% certain the couple were suffering from Pork Flu as opposed to a common strain of Scottish Influenza, also known as a bastard hangover. Scottish flu passes easily from bottle to human.

Dr Tom Logan, from the Royal Infirmary of Scotland, said: "Scottish flu is particularly common at this time of year as the weather becomes milder and the days longer, meaning everyone spends even more time in the pub than usual, mainly because they can stand outside all night smoking hundreds of fags."

He added: "I would not be surprised if over the next few days we see thousands of Scottish people coming forward reeking of cheap wine and claiming to have spent the weekend in Mexico City."

A Department of Health spokesman said: "We are almost certainly facing a pandemic and there is now nothing we can do to stop quite a few people being given some pills and told to stay home and watch Murder She Wrote.

"However, we are urging those infected not to watch Grey's Anatomy on Living TV. It won't make their illness any worse, but it will make them much, much worse - as people."

Meanwhile in America more than 40 people have been confirmed as feeling a bit peaky, including one woman who really had to sit down.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2009, 20:33:07 »
 :) here in Lincoln Boots the Chemists are running out of paper face masks ::) at the mo I'm not worried about swine flu as I have too many other things to worry about ;D/ shades x
grow your own way

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2009, 20:48:50 »
I while ago i ordered a pair of work boots from a company, who now send me emails with updates of their offers and new stock. I was shocked the other day to receive an email for their new essential swine flu kit, consisting of a paper coverall, pack of face masks and rubber gloves, all for the attractive price of about £70. I kid you not ::)

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2009, 20:53:38 »
How come theres nothing about pigs dying?

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2009, 20:57:43 »
How come theres nothing about pigs dying?

They are the sensible ones. Their in bed, getting plenty of rest and drinking plenty of fluids and will be up and about in no time. ;D

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2009, 21:44:45 »
 ;D /shadesx
grow your own way

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2009, 21:53:28 »
what I don't understand is the Government has 35 million Tamiflu treatments, and has just ordered 35 million face masks......and there are 60 million people. Is there something we aren't being told?

PS I always thought Tamiflu was a viral infection caught from listening to too much Country and western music

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal