Author Topic: Newbie starting out  (Read 1157 times)

NettleNik

• Not So New ...
Newbie starting out
« on: April 27, 2009, 14:49:24 »
Hello! We have got our allotment at last and we are trying to plan what to do and how to do it - but really we havent got a clue!

Bought Andi Clevely's two books (first one has been ordered and should arrive this week) and we are working from that. We went and viewed our plot this saturday and had a quick look.

Our plot has never been used - it's currently grass covered so we will be digging it out at the weekend. (Got to go and get the key to the allotment first!).

I have been trying to research how many plants to grow of each vegetable and what soil conditions they like. It's like a minefield out there, so feeling overwhelmed a little - as some websites dont seem to be speaking my language! Idiot would be it!

Worked out what to do for the potatoes and the brassicas and I think I know what to do if we do try to grow some pumpkins or squashes. Any suggestions on the legumes (they are beans and peas arent they?) and what soil conditions they need? Oh and I am going to try lettuce and chard - any ideas on them too? Sorry to ask such dumb quesions but I would really appreciate the advice experienced allotmenteers could give me.  I am just trying to work out a bed plan and where to put each type of veg on the plot.

Thankyou if you can help in any way.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Newbie starting out
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 14:53:34 »
Welcome to A4A Nik...  :)

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 15:03:09 »
welcome it is daunting but when you see the outcome of all your hard work its so worth it. I started in the garden then got my plot two wks ago and have started planting there too.

Lots of very good advice on here and as i was told no question is too silly.

Enjoy

Lucy

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 15:09:53 »
Hi Nettle and welcome to the nuthouse,  :P I've had my lottie for four years now and I've still not got the soil perfect it takes years to get it right so don't worry too much about that in the early days. But a good helping of rotted manure on the spud patch will give you a good head start and the cabbage/ brassica patch will need a liming, either across the soil or in the planting hole, but don't think you have to get the soil to a perfect condition for every different crop. Andi Clevely's Allotment Book should give you enough imformation to get you on your way.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

NettleNik

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 15:21:12 »
Thankyou for the welcome and thanks for the tip about the soil and book. I dont mind failing with a crop - I'm excited about digging and planting seeds and just being able to do it! Itching to get started. It's all very exciting and I'm sure in a few weeks I shall be aching from all the digging!

So thankyou for your replies. :)

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 15:34:53 »
Hi NettleNick, and welcome to the mad world of allotments.

If you get your skates on there is still time to plant most crops. Clear an area and plant as you go. If your plot has been covered in grass, watch out for wireworm when planting your spuds, turn the soil over and let the birds have em ;D. Runner beans and such can go into the ground the end of may, so plenty of time there. I've just potted up my sweetcorn, they will go in towards the end of may, also courgettes. As for salad crops, radish is a quick easy crop to grow. Salad bowl lettuce are good. In the mean time, sit and make a plan of the plot, and the long term stuff (fruit bushes) you want to plant. You could also divide your plot into beds for crop rotation, if you want to go down that route. So much to learn :o Good luck!

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 16:28:46 »
Hi Nettle, I too am starting out on the allotment road. I'm renting a private allotment, 100 sqm in size. I picked it out today and will nip up later to plan some of it out. Its a green field site and has all of the soil rotivated so a lot of my work has been cut out. My fence should go up later in the week and I should be connected to a water supply by the weekend.

I'll stick up a thread of my own and take a few pictures later on. Its all new to me although I have been growing since a kid, albeit in buckets, grow bags and pots. Good luck in the future  :)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 16:33:15 »
dont mind failing with a crop

Just as well really because you undoubtedly will at some time. Doesn't matter how good you get or how expert any of us are on here, we will all fail at something every year without doubt wether it's our own fault, the weather, insects, disease or any of the other myriad  of possible causes.

The art of gardening is not to let it get you down. Rather than get disillusioned and give up like a great many newcomers do, learn from it and try a different approach next year.

However many failures you have, just one success can more than make up for it.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 16:40:21 »
Welcome Nettlenik

Let me point you to the 'wiki' button at the top of this page there is quite a lot of useful info in there for 'newbies' such as yourself.

This link might also help; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Allotments/Introduction.htm

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 17:45:52 »
Hello and welcome! it's all an experiment, and it's different every year, but that's part of the fun of growing food!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal