Author Topic: Paths encroaching with couch grass  (Read 1521 times)

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
Paths encroaching with couch grass
« on: April 28, 2009, 21:45:16 »
I have hand dug my plot - taking out as much couch as possible with some sucess - nothing much growing back at all.  Now, paths on each side are couch and they are trying to grow back into my plot.  I am checking this by weeding etc but this is all a bit time consuming - I'd just rather spend the time on my plot.  I am not sure of the ettiquette of getting rid of grass paths and suspect it would be frowned upon.  I am thinking of some vertical plastic barrier to stop the couch spreading horizontally into my plot but I am not sure how effective this is or where I could source the fabric...

What have other done and what are the chances of sucess?

Psi

Gobby

• Quarter Acre
Re: Paths encroaching with couch grass
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 21:55:34 »
If you dig down about 10-12'' deep and leave a gap between path and planting beds, that should keep it in check quite well, as long as you keep it clear, i've found couch doesnt  like trying to jump a small gap. Neighbour has used old roof tiles around his border to act as a blocker, which looks nice, but will need to find some on freecycle for me to do it, as it woud work out fairly pricey.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 22:00:25 »
Had the same prob, but couch doesn't like being mowed regularly and died out in the paths.  It made an effort to re-invade the plot, but that was easy to pull up, just took a few goes.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 22:08:05 »
Like Gobby I trench the edges of my plot but nothing like as deep as 12".  I find around 6-8"" keeps the couch at bay.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 22:12:43 »
we  banged in lengths of timber(from reclaim yard so cheap) Looks ok and hopefullly will hold it back
Jackie

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 09:19:31 »
That's why I'm moving to raised beds! That way I can strim it without damaging my crops.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 09:55:18 »
Another vote for the trench from me, plus it helps with drainage - so a bonus for me!

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 11:13:50 »
trenches it is - will see what I can do - might need to steal a little of the foot path (as I have raised beds) but hopefully no-one will miss an inch of path!  Anything to avoid constantly doing the edges and fighting the foot paths.

I'll also invest in a petrol strimmer to keep it in check - hopefully I can weaken the couch by cutting it extra low in hot weather??

Thanks all.

Psi

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 13:54:33 »
I'll also invest in a petrol strimmer to keep it in check - hopefully I can weaken the couch by cutting it extra low in hot weather?
Just strim the paths every couple of weeks, nothing too low.  Couch doesn't form a close sward like rye grass and it won't take much of this treatment.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 08:37:30 »
Would this trench digging also ease marestail on the edges...... ??? ???
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal