Author Topic: thinking of getting a dog, advice please  (Read 9933 times)

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
Re: thinking of getting a dog, advice please
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 10:35:32 »
greyhounds and whippets are great - they are intrnsically lazy though but have the instinct for the chase.

they are very good with people and as long as you apply the exercise, discipline affection model ala caesar the dog whisperer - then there will be no probs

good luck!

dax

digswell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 00:23:53 »
Definately recommend a greyhound, ours adores our one year old baby. Have learnt that Greys come in two varieties, keen and timid, in our experience a timid grey will stick with you once they have gained your trust, the advantage here is they are less likely to chase small furries, are generally less boisterous so wont knock little one over, and can be let off the lead with confidence of a return to you. Keen ones tend to be the otherside of the coin.

A friend has a keen grey and they are now unable t let it off as it bolts from Caistor to Yarmouth and they have to keep getting it from the caravan sites!

They only need two 20 minute walks a day or even if pushed in your lifestyle one good mad dash! Feeding wise you will not have any scraps left over ever!!! With her greyhound food and scraps ours costs out at about 35p a day for two meals.

If you do go down the greyhound route don't leave food at nose level i.e. on worktops etc it will be gone!

Good luck with your choice whatever you end up with.  ;D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 10:37:07 »
We have had a rescue dog since March 2008.  She cost €150 and this included a chip, vet's examination, collar, feeding bowl and a toy. - http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/Obelixx_be/Rasta/   She was 11 months old when we got her, filthy and with a 3" layer of felted wool under a shaggy top coat.  She was very shy and quiet initially but has blossomed into a confident, playful and exceptionally loving and affectionate member of the family.

She is thought to be a Tibetan terrier cross but I think has some Griffon in her.  Either way, she has wool rather than fur so needs regular grooming and clipping sessions every 2 or 3 months at the doggy hairdresser at €50 a throw.  

Once she'd got over kennel cough and been clipped we started on training sessions which cost €15 a go but we needed to learn how to handle her properly as much as she needed to learn to obey basic commands like sit, down, heel and come.   We were also advised to buy her a cage (€100) to sleep in at night and to have her own place of quiet if she feels the need.

I haven't costed her food but she gets complete food biscuits and no tinned meat plus chews, pigs ears and other treats plus a dental hygiene chew per day.   She does not get leftovers but does get an occasional poached egg if I'm doing one for me.

Additional costs are toys, worming, flea and tick treatments, annual jabs and her rabies jab.  Training sessions are as and when we need them and can vary but have been a great boon.  We can now trust her with children, other people, other dogs, in any public situation such as towns, villages, markets etc and also let her off the lead on walks in the country.  She’s a demon pheasant chaser which we haven’t cured but leaves other creatures, including cats, alone because we ask it of her.  She loves long walks and needs a minimum of one hour a day but will happily do 11 or 12 kms or more if we go out for a day.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:48:39 by Obbelix »
Obxx - Vendée France

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 13:14:40 »
I would not advise any pet with a toddler in the house. A friend got a beautiful kitten last year to "teach her 3 year old about animals". The child screeched whenever it came near, or chased it and threw toys at it, and the poor cat is now scared of all humans and spends its time hiding under furniture and messing on the carpet.

I'd wait til the child is 7 or 8 and don't get a dog that is so large the child cannot safely take it for a walk. IMO a Weinmaraner, Rottweiler or Staffie is a big no-no!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 14:09:31 »
I think that's a parenting failure and they mustn't have taken enough care when introducing the kitten to seethat both kitten and toddler were comfortable.  Toddlers can easily be taught how to handle pets with the right approach.

We already had 3 cats when Possum was born and got a new one when she was 2 or 3 and there were no problems at all.  In fact one of the cats used to come shouting to tell me when Possum was crying and would get very agitated if I didn't respond fast enough.

Having said that, I wouldn't introduce a new dog near a baby or toddler.  Possum was 13 when Rasta arrived and had been clamouring for a dog for several years.   Nevertheless we waited till she was old enough to be responsible which includes respect for a dog's needs and behaviour and also being able to cope with the training, walking and playtime. 
Obxx - Vendée France

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 14:17:05 »
We have had a rescue dog since March 2008.  She cost €150 and this included a chip, vet's examination, collar, feeding bowl and a toy. - http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/Obelixx_be/Rasta/  

What a beautiful dog!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 16:34:40 »
Thank you.   We think so too and so do many other people who wander up and ask us what she is and even if they can have a puppy.

Most important for us though is that she's well behaved and very funny and a great asset to our small family.    We love her to bits and it's reciprocated.
Obxx - Vendée France

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 16:45:14 »
Thank you.   We think so too and so do many other people who wander up and ask us what she is and even if they can have a puppy.

Most important for us though is that she's well behaved and very funny and a great asset to our small family.    We love her to bits and it's reciprocated.

I can quite understand people wanting a dog like her.  Nobody has ever come up to me and asked about my dogs because they wanted one the same!

Do you know anything about her history?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 23:30:58 »
She was abandoned because the original owners claimed to be allergic - except that she doesn't shed her coat so I can't see how.   She was unkempt and full of flea detritus, was skin and bone under the rug and, whenever I got out the broom or mop would back off and hide.    She's still wary of anything that looks like a stick.

She's clever and has been easy to train.   She has no vices, is good with other dogs, puppies, babies, children and adults.  She's a treasure.
Obxx - Vendée France

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 16:52:08 »
Shes a beauty. Tibetan terrier, never heard of them before. We pick our new pup up after Tea, shes a cocker crossed with a plumber terrier. We've decided on Lola. Anytips on house training its the first pup we've both had since leaving home so its all new. I remember as a kid having a greyhound and walking barefoot into the room where she was. Stood straight on a still warm poo, all through my toes. You never forget stuff like that.  ;D

Emm P

• Half Acre
    • Living History
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2009, 17:23:55 »
I agree with what others have said.
Wait until your child is a little older, before considering getting a dog.

I too would recommend a whippet or greyhound to anyone.
Contrary to what people still seem to think, they can live happily with small dogs, and other pets.
If you get a dog from either Greyhounds in Need, or the Retired Greyhound Trust, they make sure dogs are matched to the prospective homes.

I had a champion racing dog, and after re training, she could quite safely be let off the lead.

Another old wives tale, is that they only need two 20 minute walks a day. A greyhound will be quite happy to walk as far as you wish to go.

If you do think of getting a rescue dog, I have a list of breed rescue addresses and phone numbers in the UK.
No outfit is complete - without dog hairs!!!

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 21:03:13 »
I love greyhounds, but all the ones I've met love to chase small furry things! A friends dog smelt guinea pig on one of their barbecue guest's clothes, sneaked over the fence and returned with the neighbour's pet in its mouth. Cue screaming children  ::)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2009, 13:12:56 »
I love greyhounds, but all the ones I've met love to chase small furry things! A friends dog smelt guinea pig on one of their barbecue guest's clothes, sneaked over the fence and returned with the neighbour's pet in its mouth. Cue screaming children  ::)
Whereas our golden retriever of 30 years ago not only found the hamster that had been missing for over a week but carefully put it back in its hamster house and stood guard over it until a human appeared on the scene to close the hamster cage. Not a single hair damaged. I guess that's why they're called retrievers!! ;)

Oh he also used to take the cat for a walk on his back and pulled the kids to school on a sledge through the snow. All in all quite a versatile chappy.

daxzen

• Half Acre
  • this is isaac he is my allotment troll
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 13:27:44 »
implementing the dog whisperers mantra of exercise dissiplene and then and only then affection

all dogs need to appropriately exercised to give them a healthy lifestyle.

It should be known that if you are exercising greyhounds - they will walk slowly all day and all night - you will never wear them out - jogging with them does not work either - its in the breeding.

The way to walk a grey hound is at a fast pace but not running - 20 minute bursts twice a day will suffice and the test is whether they just curl up afterwards

dax

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2009, 13:49:28 »

If you do think of getting a rescue dog, I have a list of breed rescue addresses and phone numbers in the UK.

I'd be interested in having a look at that. Is it on the inter-web thing ?
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 23:12:44 »
Now that I've re-read your post and see your child is only 2, I'd also recommend waiting. Our children were in early grade school when the first dog arrived and had the joy of seeing it young and the responsibility of taking care of it.

From the work stand point, letting a dog in and out, in and out, one more body to have to plan around and for, plus sometimes they get into mischief,chew things, have the runs etc so inevitably there is more work in addition to your toddler, yes, I'd wait.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 23:31:26 »
I expect I am going to be the only one to give you this advice but if it was me I wouldn't get a dog, that includes all breeds, until your son is older.
nope, I'll agree with you, sinbad7.
anyway, why do you want to pick up over 350 turds per year?
You couldn't make it up!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2009, 05:52:42 »
Picking a dog.. ask yourself these questions  with passion

Huge,Big , Medium, Small or  Tiny..

Do you have the time, skill or aptitude to groom a lot , a little o somewhere in between..even paying someone to do it doesn't help with some breeds as it is a constant job...

As above,, but to do with exercise, some dogs are happy with a little, some needs loads and  some do get enough just running around the garden.

Consider the different health problems connected with some breeds, large easily damaged  eyes in Pekes, Pugs etc, kidneys in Dachshunds, hip dyspasia in some of the larger breeds, eye problems  in othere etc etc.,, all breeds have their probs.

Long hair  usually comes out  in a seasonal molt..ok I know it is there all year but I did say usually, short hair molts continually.

My parents were greyhound breeders until I was about eight  then we just kept a few pets later on over the years I  bred and showed OES, pugs, pekes, tibetan spaniels  and handled quite a few other breeds for friends so my advice is don't rush into it, read all you can and decide according to your own families needs.

Regarding the child. My kids were reared side by side with puppies from birth as I was  , I never had a problem,  in fact they showed and helped too as I did with my parents but I think you will know your own child best and know if they will be OK together beforehand. It is hard to get through to a small child that a sleeping dog should be left alone and that it is not a toy but it can be done and I don't think I would let it put me off if you have the time and patience for both.

Good Luck.

If you want to read about all the breeds to help you with your decision, go to the  site of  THE KENNEL CLUB you will find all the info you want there,

Re a rescue dog. it is hard to advise as again a lot depends on you. I am all for re homing  BUT,, bear in mind  you may not know the background, temperament etc of the animal so be cautious especially as you have a child and it may need more help and work. It works out very well for many folks though. Another consideration once you have decided on your breed consider a rescue in that one many of the breeds do have their own rescue schemes, there are many lists for these on the net.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal