Author Topic: Overwintering the Pond  (Read 5594 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Overwintering the Pond
« on: September 17, 2004, 19:34:29 »
It is coming up to my first winter with plants/fish in the pond.  Is there anything that I should be doing ???  There are lots of baby fishes of varying sizes and 4 adults.  So far I have 3 water lily plants, two of which are planted in the bottom of the pond between 2 1/2 ft and 3ft.  One of the lilies is a miniature which is planted as a marginal at present, but can be moved if needed.  I have various other marginal plants and some water lettuce( I know that this is a tenderish plant and will have to be overwintered in a bowl of water in the conservatory.)  
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re:Overwintering the Pond
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 21:55:37 »
Still a little early yet to do anything, as the leaves on the trees haven’t all dropped, but when they do they will eventually drop to the bottom of the pond and need to be removed as they will rot and contaminate the water, feeding can continue until the water temperature drops below 10°C usually around the end of October.

Can’t help you on the plants as I haven’t kept them until now as my Koi used to trash them. ::)

Roy. ;D

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 23:16:43 »
If you have leaves that will fall into your pool put a net over the pool before they fall saves a lot of problems. I to have Koi so plants do get eaten.
Margrate is best to advise on water lillies I know they will die back so you can fish the leaves out not sure if you can cut the back. My marsh marigold which the fish dont touch dies back and I just cut it back.
How young are your baby fish and what are they you may think of putting them in a tank and feed through the winter to put out next spring, as many young fish do not surive there first winter.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 20:14:22 »
Teresa, the fish dont look that old, but Im not too sure.  Some are about 2 inches long right down to others who look as if they have just hatched(just look like a pair of eyes swimming around :D)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 20:30:21 »
Oh bless Mimi,
I have been wanting babies for so long think my fish are gay.
I was bought 2 2inch ones last year and they survived they were so small I freted all winter over them. But think the smaller ones will not make it (where is Margaret when you need her) depends on how many little ones you have perhaps a few in a tank to go through the winter and let the rest take there chances with mother nature.
What fish have you got?

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 21:31:30 »
Nothing special just four gold fish..  One (we think its female) has the other 3 swimming around after it all the time with their tongues hanging out(we think they are male ::))  

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 21:51:27 »
wonder what gives you that idea ha ha you are so lucky.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 21:51:59 »
Mimi are you sure it is their tongues hanging out? :o Goldfish are as tough as old boots and should sale through the winter, not so sure about the female though they take quite a bashing with those eager males even to the point of fin damage them boys don’t mess about when they want to get hooked. 8) As for the babies their biggest worry is being eaten, :o if they can hide deep in plant growth they may well survive.
My Bro-in-law has the ideal set up…a raised pond flowing into a shallow pond the babies slip over the edge into the lower pond and survive until the heron arrives. :o 8)

Roy. ;D

tedd

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 01:16:55 »
Mimi,

If your pond is a reasonable size and depth then plants and fish should survive the winter with help from you. You need to either keep the pump running or have a floating water heater in the pond to maintain a hole when ice is forming to allow the gases to escape and Oxygen to get in.

If you suspect the bottom has a lot of leaves and vegetation then this will tend to produce gas over winter and is best removed now. I use a ladder across my pond and a net and plastic shovel on a stick but mine is 1.5 m deep in the middle. I also have used a plastic plantpot fixed to a brush handle.

Before you start cleaning the pond bottom, remove the pump and clean that. Disconnect of course.

Do not use a metal rake or hoe or anything that might pierce the pond liner. Also do NOT stand in the pond, you may push pebbles through the liner and it will leak.

If you leave the vegetation on the side of the pond any fish and other life forms may be able to crawl back in. I also search through the gunge for tiddlers, newts and larva and return them.

You will stir the mud up so try to keep it to a minimum. You could do the job in stages to give the fish a rest.

Congratulations on the baby fish. The parents are obviously happy with their home.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal