Author Topic: Pointsettia  (Read 1398 times)

cacran

• Hectare
Pointsettia
« on: April 23, 2009, 07:54:41 »
The two pointsettia plants I got for Christmas are hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Is thereany way I can keep them going so that they come again next year?

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Pointsettia
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 08:31:16 »
No there isn't. Most of them went on the compost heap by 12th night. I have heard tales of them being kept year after year but they would be very healthy plants.

This is the first year we have kept one going and it is on the windowsill where it was put last december and is now in full sun most of the day, it still has it red bracts and looks artificial,(hmm, better check that). £1.99 from Liddies.

ourdai

• Not So New ...
  • Old allotmenteers never die, they just run to seed
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 08:35:37 »
Mine is still looking in fine fettle, I stand it in a saucer of pea shingle covered in water, they like moist air. Mine survived until August last year by which time it was all green and leggy so I threw it out.
I don't know if pruning it would have bushed it up and I don't know what process causes them to go red.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 08:37:59 »
Mine has just  few red leaves at the top, no green. I don't know what the process is either ??? I think I will put them on my shed's windowsill, they look a mess in the house.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 06:49:11 »
When we were in the south of Spain a few years ago in February, the council had planted them all round a roundabout for Christmas and they were going the same way as mine was at home, in it's pot. 

Me, my mother and her mother before her used to buy them every Christmas and tried all sorts to keep them. Grandma kept hers once to survive until the following Christmas in 1964. Then grandfather opened a window to clear the room of cigar smoke and he was blamed for that murder. The plant met it's end a month later.

I have come to assume that since there are loads of them around every year at a reasonable price that, they must be sturdy (for a tropical plant) but once they leave the artificial tropical environment of the growers, they are already doomed.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 08:50:11 »
I made the sad choice of putting them on the compost heap. It doesn't seem worth it to try to save them. thanks for all your replies. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal