Author Topic: gardeners world 15th may - allotments in birkenhead  (Read 1984 times)

russw

• Not So New ...
gardeners world 15th may - allotments in birkenhead
« on: April 26, 2009, 00:13:25 »
lurking here for several months ,  time for a post, and an advert .......
my much neglected site "thornton" , at bidston in Birkenhead is being featured on gardeners world on 15th may....apparently the site used to win loads of awards but due to years of council indifference and vandalism it has survived with only a handful of tenants for quite some time- us newbies are starting to appear  ( july 2008 for me) but there are still vacant plots !
 the 'digit' boys from the bbc have been around,apparently joe swift s doing the article -  and the hope is they will highlight the problems and shame the council into doing something  ie they promised fencing this year but now cant do  ) . theres a  follow up program in autumn to see whats been done. 

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: gardeners world 15th may - allotments in birkenhead
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 06:17:43 »
Good luck with the programme, let's hope it does some good for your site.  The BBC did one from ours a few years ago and featured Teresinha, a Brazilian lady who grows dye plants on her plot.  It's been repeated a few times and we still get people commenting on it.
Do you appear in the programme?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 22:11:53 »
The allotments a few miles up the road from mine are on the tv a fair bit. Terry Walton does his show from there for the Jeremy Vine programme. We've possibly got the worst council in the uk, but the tv pressure makes them keep the allotments going. Although they have closed a few sites and sold them to private developers for old folks homes.  >:(
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 22:37:26 »
Welcome to the site Russ, and I hope all the publicity does you good...  :)

russw

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 22:59:14 »
thanks for the replies - happily i am not on as  i was at work when they were there, but apparently my plot might be seen over the presenters shoulder, fame at last.. 
another 2 plots just been taken, things are looking up. as are my potatoes & parsnips  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 16:17:43 »
hiya, russw, nice to meet you  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal